Forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Sun 28th Aug - 'Dip Into The Dales'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi gang.

It will soon be time for another hilly ride from Hebden Bridge. Inspired (and annoyed) by missing this year's Spring Into The Dales audax event, I came up with a route partly based on the new and old versions of SITD, but with a few variations - I called it 'Summer Into The Dales'!

The trouble was, when I checked the figures, I realised that I'd made it a bit too hard for my current level of fitness. Some of you fit buggers would have loved it, but it would have half-killed me so I've cut it down. The new route just sneaks into the Yorkshire Dales national park and then back out again so I've named it 'Dip Into The Dales'. It's still challenging - 103 km long (64 miles) and with 2,200 m (7,200 ft) of climbing, some of it very steep.

Nobody will be left behind, but you should be confident that you can tackle a very hilly ride of this distance. It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 on Sunday, 28th August. Map showing car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

I reckon we will get back at about 1800. (Told you it would be slow!) Those in a hurry to get home can leave us at Steeton and take the regular SITD route back via Keighley. The rest of us will take a more interesting, but harder and slower route back. Let me translate that for you - we'll go over some steep hills rather than round them! ;)

For our main cafe stop, I've found a farm shop/ice cream parlour in a great location after 59 kms.It sells home-made ice cream, paninis, milk shakes, cakes, soft drinks, coffee ... (We can also make a brief stop at The Dalesman in Gargrave at the 40 km point on the way out if need-be.)

Route: Hebden Bridge, Pecket Well, Cock Hill, Oxenhope, Penistone Hill (east side), Haworth, Oakworth, Slippery Ford, Sutton Moor, Lane Ends, Glusburn Moor, Carleton Moor, Elslack, Broughton, Gargrave (Dalesman Cafe?), Flasby, Hetton, Rylestone, B6265 towards Skipton, Embsay, farm cafe stop, Halton East, Bolton Abbey, Bolton Bridge, lane/bridleway to miss section of busy A59, Beamsley, West Hall, footbridge over Wharfe and steps, (cross A65), steep climb of Nudge Hill and steep descent to Silsden, cross A629 to Steeton, (optional quicker way home via Keighley, Cross Roads, Oxenhope ...), Hollins Bank Lane, Hollins Lane, Black Hill, Laycock, Goose Eye, Oakworth, Dockroyd, Haworth, Penistone Hill, Oxenhope, Cock Hill, Pecket Well, Hebden Bridge.

Map: On Bikely, my gpx file.

Profile:

dip-into-the-dales-profile.gif

Riders:
  • ColinJ + pal Bill
  • potsy
  • PaulB (some of first half)
  • bromptonfb
  • Calum
Possible riders:
  • skudupnorth
  • Steve H
Are you up for it too? All Welcome!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I don't know what I did there. I was trying to lose the whole thing and then added it with no benefit!

What I was iNTENDing to say is that I would be interested in some of it but couldn't do it all as it's Blues Weekend here and we've got Wilko Johnson, Norman Watt-Roy and (drumroll please) MAVIS STAPLES all playing 500 yards from my front door! So I'd need to be back mid afternoon but I could meet you at Slippery Stones or the bottom of Dick Lane where me and Liam met up with you last year about this time. I'd probably have to swerve off around Oakworth.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I don't know what I did there. I was trying to lose the whole thing and then added it with no benefit!

What I was iNTENDing to say is that I would be interested in some of it but couldn't do it all as it's Blues Weekend here and we've got Wilko Johnson, Norman Watt-Roy and (drumroll please) MAVIS STAPLES all playing 500 yards from my front door! So I'd need to be back mid afternoon but I could meet you at Slippery Stones or the bottom of Dick Lane where me and Liam met up with you last year about this time. I'd probably have to swerve off around Oakworth.
I'm looking forward to the new forum software because I'm always getting the wrong formatting or losing my posts with the current post editor!

To get home in time, you'd probably have to head back straight after the cafe stop, but that would be okay wouldn't it?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The trouble was, when I checked the figures, I realised that I'd made it a bit too hard for my current level of fitness. Some of you fit buggers would have loved it, but it would have half-killed me so I've cut it down. The new route just sneaks into the Yorkshire Dales national park and then back out again so I've named it 'Dip Into The Dales'. It's still challenging - 103 km long (64 miles) and with 2,200 m (7,200 ft) of climbing, some of it very steep.

Are you up for it too? All Welcome!

You sir, are a sado-masochist.

I'd love to join you for one of your rides, but just reading your descriptions is painful.

Think, I'll sit this one out too.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You sir, are a sado-masochist.

I'd love to join you for one of your rides, but just reading your descriptions is painful.

Think, I'll sit this one out too.
You could be right because I end up in a lot of pain on rides like this! My bum, worn-out/injured right leg and lower right back will be killing me by the time I get home. :wacko: The positives outweigh the negatives though so I'm not complaining. I just wish I'd discovered cycling in the hills when I was young and strong and before various bits of me started packing up!

I won't suffer anywhere near so much once I've got my weight back down to a sensible level and have done enough of these rides to get fit again.

Why not come along on one of the flatter Waddington rides late this year/early next year? (We stay off most of the hills on wintry forum rides to avoid icy roads.)

Sounds fab, but I am booked in to be my wife's cheer leader that day.
Keep you eyes open for future rides and come along on one of them instead!

Hmm - I just looked up where Wigton is ... You have some fabulous cycling up there in Cumbria! I'll definitely come up there for a cycling holiday when I can afford it and am fit enough to enjoy it.

potsy

Rambler
That'll teach me to sign up for a ride before I see the smallprint!!
Was expecting a little leisure ride not SITD the remake :ohmy:

There better be a few more of the slow coaches coming to keep me company.

home-made ice cream, paninis, milk shakes, cakes, soft drinks, coffee. At least that's my order sorted already :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
If i can get all my prep work for my new life at college then i'm up for another nice ride over your way Colin,count me as a possible :thumbsup:

Steve H

Large Member
I'm a maybe. Wife is away with the kids all next week and is talking like she will want me on child duty next weekend. However I will try to negotiate a day out on the Sunday, especially with it being a Bank Holiday weekend.

potsy

Rambler
I'm a maybe. Wife is away with the kids all next week and is talking like she will want me on child duty next weekend. However I will try to negotiate a day out on the Sunday, especially with it being a Bank Holiday weekend.

Woo Hoo!!

Just need Phil now and the slow train is running :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm a maybe. Wife is away with the kids all next week and is talking like she will want me on child duty next weekend. However I will try to negotiate a day out on the Sunday ...
Yay!

... especially with it being a Bank Holiday weekend.
'Bank Holiday' - what's that?

TBH - I find it difficult to even remember what day of the week it is now because all non forum ride days follow exactly the same pattern. I need to get some structure back in my life because it ain't going anywhere the way it is! :whistle:

Anyway, back to the subject - Riders:
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • PaulB (some of first half)
Possible riders:
  • skudupnorth
  • Steve H

Top Bottom