Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun 29th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
*** RIDE NOW ON SUNDAY 29TH! ***

Rights folks - I have only done 1 ride in 8 weeks so it is time for me to stop messing about and to get another one in!

I want to try and do a metric century a month this year so I have plotted a 106 km (66 mile) route which takes in our usual cafe stop at Country Kitchen in Waddington. I'm aiming to do the ride on Sunday, 22nd January because that gives me 2 weeks to get my legs working again, and a bailout option of the following Sunday if the weather turns out to be awful on the 22nd.

It will on be a flatter route than most of my forum rides. We will spend more time on main roads than usual, but at least they should be ice-free and less demanding on my/our detrained legs!

The route includes a few smaller climbs and long drags but maxes out at an elevation of 240 m so we won't be doing any really big stuff. The worst climb of the day will be that short steep stretch on the Old Roman Road near Read. We will ride out to Burnley on the A646, and use the Padiham Greenway to get into the centre of Padiham. We'll take the scenic route to the Old Roman Road, then continue through Mitton as we usually do, but instead of turning right and going straight to Waddington via Bashall Town, we will turn left and add a little loop below the north side of Longridge Fell, taking us through Walker Fold, Cow Ark and Kitchens and then descending the lower part of Waddington Fell to our cafe stop in the village. After that, we will return to Mitton via Bashall Town, and then return along the same route we took out in the morning.

Usual ride ethos - an easy sociable pace, and lots of chatting, with a relaxed stop at the cafe. Nobody will be left behind but if anyone wants to climb ahead of the slower riders, feel free, just wait at the summits for me and the rest of the rear guard!

You ought to feel fairly sure that you can cope with a moderately 'lumpy' ride of this distance, and carry enough food and drink to get you to the cafe at Waddington after 60 kms (37 miles), though we can call in to refill our bottles at the Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley after 35 kms (22 miles)

It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

Let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge. Map showing car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park in good time because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!
We will probably be coming back at dusk so remember to bring lights.

I was wondering whether we should start this ride an hour earlier than normal because the distance has been upped and it will still be getting dark fairly early - what do you think - 09:00, 10:00 or a compromise 09:30?

Who fancies joining me? :hello:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If I can - Sunday's aren't good for me so I'll have to check with SWMBO. Saturday's are always better!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If I can - Sunday's aren't good for me so I'll have to check with SWMBO. Saturday's are always better!
The old problem! I think that Sundays are generally better for most people but I will definitely organise some rides on Saturdays for the others. The trouble is, every time I've asked, we end up with a split vote so it is better for me to just name the day up front!

The mini-Northwest Passage that we have been discussing elsewhere is one of the rarer events which take place on a Saturday (Steve H - take note! :thumbsup:)

potsy

Rambler
The mini-Northwest Passage that we have been discussing elsewhere is one of the rarer events which take place on a Saturday (Steve H - take note! :thumbsup:)
:giggle:

I'll be there, need the miles and the extra training, even Phil is ahead of me this year :blush:

Hicky

Guru
If I get a pass out(wife works evenings) then I'll be there.
If anyone wants to do any in the meantime then I'm up for shorter ones(wifes work commitments)?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've updated my original post with more details.

Please note that the start time is open to discussion so make your preferences clear - 09:00, 09:30 or 10:00?

If I get a pass out(wife works evenings) then I'll be there.
If anyone wants to do any in the meantime then I'm up for shorter ones(wifes work commitments)?
It will be nice to see you again! It was this time last year that you rode with us wasn't it?

Hicky

Guru
I cant remember Colin it was some time ago!
I've been informed I'm at a Christening on the 22nd, so if you're up for a jaunt this sunday getting back for 3/4ish I dont mind the start time (anyone else?) ?
The Metoffice seems to be giving favourable weather.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I cant remember Colin it was some time ago!
I've been informed I'm at a Christening on the 22nd, so if you're up for a jaunt this sunday getting back for 3/4ish I dont mind the start time (anyone else?) ?
The Metoffice seems to be giving favourable weather.
I could well be, but I'd want it to be shorter because I want to build back up to the distance of the Waddington ride. Perhaps 40-odd miles but with hills?

How about Saturday and then maybe DCLane could join us? I'll keep the weekend free but will watch the weather forecasts as we get closer to next weekend before making a final decision. (I don't trust forecasts 5 or 6 days in advance!)

Weather permitting and providing I can remember how to steer a bike, any time is good, but I will vote for 9.30 :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weather permitting and providing I can remember how to steer a bike, any time is good, but I will vote for 9.30 :smile:
So, oldfatfool - Is that the Waddington ride a week on Sunday, or the shorter one this Saturday or Sunday?

Hmm - I can see we might have complicated things here with 2 rides in 1 thread! Anyone else planning to come along, remember to say which Sunday you are posting about! If people are interested in a shorter hillier ride next Saturday or Sunday, perhaps I should start a new thread for that?

That would be for the Sunday 22nd, as per the title of the thread:tongue:

Would be up for a ride this weekend but can't manage Saturdays due to work :sad:

Hicky

Guru
I can do this weekend either day(sunday I'd have to be back in Hebden for 4) or the 21st.
I dont mind if it is hilly:bicycle:

I've realised I cannot make the 22nd. We will be celebrating my wife's birthday and my daughter will be taking a well-earned break from her efforts to civilise the southerners (a hopeless task, I know :giggle: ) It would seem a bit rude for her to come up from Essex for the week-end and me disappear on Sunday :cry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've realised I cannot make the 22nd. We will be celebrating my wife's birthday and my daughter will be taking a well-earned break from her efforts to civilise the southerners (a hopeless task, I know :giggle: ) It would seem a bit rude for her to come up from Essex for the week-end and me disappear on Sunday :cry:
Ah, no, I can see that that wouldn't go down well!

How about the shorter, hillier ride this Saturday or Sunday then? DCLane - this is your chance to get in for a Saturday ride! If you want to come along, we'll make it Saturday, and if not we'll make it Sunday so oldfatfool can come along.

One day CJ I'm gonna get along to one of these rides of yours, but they always fall on the wrong date! The 22nd we're of down to Spalding for work on Monday....weekend previous we're out with the climbing club ....oh well, maybe next time then. Hope the weather stays fine for thee.

Top Bottom