W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Hmmmm.. Shaun of the dead? 🤔

tyred

Legendary Member
A woman I knew reasonably well died from lung cancer earlier this year at relatively young age.

Many months later her daughter is apparently still logging into her Mum's Facebook account and liking posts, clicking as "interested" in events and posting family photographs. I realise how someone handles grief is a personal thing (and I assume she wants to keep her Mum's memory alive) but I must admit I find it a bit disturbing when these posts turn up in my Newsfeed and other people I know say the same thing.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not aware of any purge of dormant accounts on CC, but that's one for @Shaun.

I am aware of a couple of members who have died.

Their accounts are just left, as they would be if they stopped posting.

I imagine Shaun would remove them if asked, but who is going to ask?

If I die tomorrow, no one dealing with my death would know to contact CC.

Then there's the question of vexatious deletion requests, which sadly might happen.

A responsible forum owner would want sight of proof of identity of the person making the request, and sight of a death certificate.

There's very little money in running most forums, so I doubt the administrative capacity to carry out those checks exists.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I imagine this issue will require some sort of legislation in the future as people’s online lives get more and more complicated.
Relatives requesting access to Facebook and Instagram accounts to harvest the photos etc.
Twitter made an announcement a while back that they were going to purge dormant accounts. It led to an outcry from the loved ones of dead posters who wanted their accounts to remain as online memorials to them. Twitter have relented and are going to come up with a way to make that possible.

After nearly dying 7 years back (where does the time go!) it crossed my mind that if it had happened then you lot might never have found out what had happened to me. I told my sister to post a goodbye message on my behalf if I die before her. Watch this space! :laugh:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I suppose also how many dormant bank / building society accounts must be hanging around, people who die with no dependants, couples where one half looks after the finances and the other half lets them get on with it and has no idea where all the savings are invested.

Parents who pass away and the kids have no idea of what accounts their parents had, especially in this day and age where paper seems to be at a premium and everything is online.

Personally I have a printed copy of everything we have, which gets updated should we open or close an account, with all account details and it is housed under F for financial in a paper filing system should I go first so that Mrs RL can hopefully find it easily and get her hands on the money I should have spent on bikes and holidays!
And you might just be surprised at the amount of information the banks have on accounts held with them. And the lengths they go to to keep it.

The problem comes down to having legal permission to access that information. Often not thought about.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Facebook has a Legacy option where you can, I believe, nominate someone to take over your account should the grim reaper come a'calling.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another member whose name almost rhymes with san fairy ann has gone the same way.

More than 70,000 posts gone in the click of an admin's mouse.

Top Bottom