Foulbrood in my area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
Just got a telephone call from the bee inspector telling me that there is an outbreak of foulbrood in my area, he wanted to come and see my bees. :biggrin:

Luckily I don't have any yet, shouldn't have registered on that website me thinks. Oh well.

Its a very nasty disease, It ether makes the larve go gooey, in the case of the American strain, http://www.vita-europe.com/Map_enscript/frmbuilder.php?dateiname=/en/disease/american.htm
meaning everything has to be destroyed.

Or the European foulbrood, http://www.vita-europe.com/Map_enscript/frmbuilder.php?dateiname=/en/disease/european.htm
where the bees have to be destroyed and the hive and its components blowtorched.

All very nasty stuff. I think I'm going to wait before buying a hive and some bees, don't want to go to the expense and then have to have them destroyed. :wacko:

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Oh and I also forgot to mention that I think all hives have to be destroyed in the area of the outbreak in order to stop it spreading. I think I know of two beginner beekeepers in the South Bank area who have recently got bees. Can't imagine going to all that expense, to then have everything destroyed. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Will1985 said:
Normally lava from volcanoes is gooey :biggrin:. Poor bee larva(e) though - if it isn't killer varroa threatening the bees, it's something else.

Verroa is nothing compared to this, you can treat for that, there is no treatment yet for foulbrood.

Ps thanks for the tip on spelling :wacko:

Right off to test ride a possible new bike, then off to help my boyfriend on the Velovision stand at the York Show. Have fun everyone. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
"Sit down lads, someone wants to buy you."

It would be sit down ladies someone wants to buy you. :biggrin: Male bees are know as drones and have a very short life, in fact they explode after mating with the queen.

A hive cost somewhere in the region of £290 - £360 new, for a small nucleus of bees it can be between £80 - £150. You also need to get a bee suit from £42, hive tools £10, a smoker £20.

It can end up being a really expensive hobby. Not to mention that next year you will have 2 hives, the year after 4 and so on.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
How much can you make from the honey?
Why do you have to keep doubleing:wacko: Or is it that you add on 2 more hives each year?

My god, when do you stop:ohmy::ohmy:

Oh, and you have to pay for bees? Cant you just shove a hive out and let them come to you?

Bigtwin

There's a fouldbrood in my area too.

They are currently eating their tea on a warning for straight to bed for giving cheek to their mother.

I might try and get a man from the council to take them away.

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Joe24 said:
How much can you make from the honey?
Why do you have to keep doubleing:wacko: Or is it that you add on 2 more hives each year?

My god, when do you stop:ohmy::ohmy:

Oh, and you have to pay for bees? Cant you just shove a hive out and let them come to you?

You can sell honey for about £2.50 a jar or even £4.00 if its good stuff. During summer you can have thousands of bees in a hive, so to stop them swarming you have to split them so you don't loose them, hence the doubling up of hives.

You can put a hive out in hope to catch a passing swarm, even better if you have some queen hormone.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Gromit said:
You can sell honey for about £2.50 a jar or even £4.00 if its good stuff. During summer you can have thousands of bees in a hive, so to stop them swarming you have to split them so you don't loose them, hence the doubling up of hives.

You can put a hive out in hope to catch a passing swarm, even better if you have some queen hormone.

How many jars can one hive produce a year? Or 2 hives?
Hmmm, i think i need to make a wooden box and go bee catching.

Keith Oates

Janner
Didn't I read something recently about the fact that there is now a shortage of bees in the UK and that thieves are going around 'nicking' hives.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom