Found a rip-off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Just been looking at getting some replacement Durano+ tyres for when my current pair wear out, CRC have them at £26.97 in the sale with the normal price being £29.99.The RRP is £32.99 according to them.

Then I remembered Tredz have 10% off everything so thought I'd compare,
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
£41.99 each. RIP OFF.

How can they charge that?

Attachments

• ohmy.gif
    ohmy.gif
    261 bytes · Views: 13

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lots of examples, especially at this 'sales' time of year: Wiggle - Shimano a520 pedals - list 49.99, 20% (wow!) off = 10.16 = £39.83 free p+p. But look around on the web and: Ribble: rrp 49.99, Ribble price 32.95. Buy an inner tube (whatever) to bring your order to over £35, and you will get 47.27% off rrp, and free p+p = £26.36 (much bigger wow!). Always check prices before you buy, (and ebay is often a very expensive option).

Lots of examples, especially at this 'sales' time of year: Wiggle - Shimano a520 pedals - list 49.99, 20% (wow!) off = 10.16 = £39.83 free p+p. But look around on the web and: Ribble: rrp 49.99, Ribble price 32.95. Buy an inner tube (whatever) to bring your order to over £35, and you will get 47.27% off rrp, and free p+p = £26.36 (much bigger wow!). Always check prices before you buy, (and ebay is often a very expensive option).

Errrrm

20% of 49.99 is 9.99 (if rounding down).

Still - your point stands

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
almost all local bike shops have their fair share of rip offs.

You could argue that would be anything on sale at recommended retail price. However much I appreciate the services and convenience offered by a good LBS, I find their high prices unaffordable.

yello

Devil's advocate mode here - what is a rip-off?

Ime, pretty much every bit of cycling kit is more expensive here in France than in the UK. I can by on-line from the UK or Germany and get it delivered for less than I'd pay here. Does that make France a rip off? The thing is that French businesses tend to have higher taxes and overheads, so they have to sell at higher prices to make a profit.

Equally, big UK on-line stores can buy in bulk and so command better discounts, they're box-shifters and make profit on volume sales. Your poor old LBS can't always compete with that...

Devil's advocate mode off.

I understand what is generally meant by rip-off!

e-rider

crappy member
LBS tends to be rammed to the rafters with over-priced crap.

The does tend to be inconsistency with stated RRPs

I would certainly never buy anything (ever) without checking at least a couple of other websites first unless I'm very familiar with the cost of the item.

Sale items are often the worst. If one company is discounting an item heavily then there is usally good reason and the same item is usually going cheap elsewhere too, and often even cheaper! Items with 80% off always make me cautious.

e-rider

crappy member
Devil's advocate mode here - what is a rip-off?

Ime, pretty much every bit of cycling kit is more expensive here in France than in the UK. I can by on-line from the UK or Germany and get it delivered for less than I'd pay here. Does that make France a rip off? The thing is that French businesses tend to have higher taxes and overheads, so they have to sell at higher prices to make a profit.

Equally, big UK on-line stores can buy in bulk and so command better discounts, they're box-shifters and make profit on volume sales. Your poor old LBS can't always compete with that...

Devil's advocate mode off.

I understand what is generally meant by rip-off!

When I lived in Germany I also found it very difficult to source cheap parts and kit. The UK seems to be a Euro leader in cheap internet sales of bike stuff. I guess we do pay through the nose to keep a roof over our heads.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
It wasn't so much the different prices at different retailers I was talking about, but more about how they can charge so much over the RRP for a product.

rickangus

Über Member
Wiggle.co.uk/Garmin-800 Huge Discounts On Garmin Edge 800 At The UK's No 1 Online Cycle Shop!

And how big, exactly, are these "Huge discounts"?

Nil, nothing, zilch, a big fat zero.

You won't find this item at a higher price than that which Wiggle are charging.

I know this isn't necessarily a rip off but I do wonder whether it meets with Trades Description.

Top Bottom