Frame painting. What paint is best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have got a frame that is in need of a paint job. After doing one last year with spray cans I now know that doing a proper job this way is probably more expensive that sending the frame of to be powder coated. Not to mention that the finish although looked very good was not at all durable and will chip off if struck by candyfloss.

This time I intend to try old fashioned paint and brush. I expect this to be far cheaper and much more durable. Also I am not averse to having a slightly rustic, hand done look to the bike as it will discourage theives.

Can anybody recommend any particular kind of paint to use along with undercoats and primers if necessary. I am tempted to try hammerite so would like to know if this is a stupid idea. (If it is then I'll probably end up doing it)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Hammerite do smooth paints as well as the hammered-look variety. With a bit of care and skill, you can get quite a reasonable finish with them. It's not a stupid idea, but it's worth practising on something unimportant first to get the hang of it - it's quite gloopy paint.

Night Train

Maker of Things
If the paint chipped off then that would be down to the preperation not providing the paint with a good clean key to the surface. Changing the paint and application method won't fix this so it is worth making sure the preperation is really good first.

As well as Hammerite Smooth have a look at specific coachwork paints and enamel paints, also primers. Also get the best appropriate brush you can afford and look after it.

However, if you want it to look bad enough not to get nicked then the quality of the finish is less important.:smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hammerite takes for ever to dry properly. Smooth & shiny, completely dry to the touch, leave it another couple of days - and its still so soft underneath that it comes off at the slightest touch. Tried it from cans and applied by brush - same result. Short answer... don't bother.

Hammerite takes up to 14 days to fully cure, and is much better if it is applied over a primer or undercoat.

For a on brush paint I would recommend an unthinned or slightly thinned "32" tractor enamel, over a suitable primer, or even a cellulose car paint again over a suitable primer.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Hammerite is good, I've brush painted a couple of bike frames with it over the years (one smooth finish black and the other hammered finish green) and it works well and lasts well, it does take time to cure properly though but it's not a problem if you take care.
I've even painted a VW campervan by brush with Hammerite (hammered finish green) and minimal preparation and it looked great.

twowheelsgood

Have a word with you local powder coater. They'll often slip small items like a bike frame in when they do a contract job. Providing you're willing to accept the "couleur de jour", you avoid the cost of the oven and powder.

Top Bottom