Frame question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
I´m trying to find a frame for a custom build, suitable for hub gears, cantilever brakes with rack & mudguard mounts.
Have tried Surly, On One, Cinelli but no luck so far. Any ideas gratefully accepted!
Thanks!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Surly cross check, on one pompetamine, and lots and lots of others.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Apologies I thought the cross check had a slotted dropout to accommodate and I was just plain ignorant about the pomps' discs.....a standard pomp with brazed- on cable stops for the hub gear? cost about £40 with a powder coat......there must be SOMETHING out there......

anyuser

Über Member
What's your budget? Van Nicholas Amazon and Pioneer frames are available as hub gear versions.

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
What's your budget? Van Nicholas Amazon and Pioneer frames are available as hub gear versions.

Both of the above would be perfect..... but I'm aiming to build the bike for well under a grand unfortunately. A steel version of either would be ideal.
A second hand frame would be fine if the right spec existed. Maybe I've found a gap in the market?
I'm going with a Sturmey Archer three speed I think.

david1701

whats your reasoning for cantis over disks?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Jim, I'm again tinkering and am selling my Dawes 3 speed:-

http://www.cyclechat.net/gallery/image/871-img-6478jpg/

I just don't really use it and I want something for offroad instead, the frame is old but all other parts were new and it's really done very little mileage...maybe 400 at an absolute max. According to my magic spreadsheet the entire bike cost me £767 to put together with the main costs being in the wheelset and forks. I would also consider splitting it for sale, details are:-

Dawes Civic steel frame - 58cm in size
Surly Xcheck forks in 1" threadless - steerer never been cut, lots of spacers obviously
BBB Turnaround headset 1"
Mavic A719 rims 36h, Shimano 105 black front hub and Sturmey Archer SRF3 rear, this has the 175mm axle which I had to source from Harris cyclery in the US. I also have various SA spacing washers so the hub can be run down to old AW sizes and all the way up to 135mm spacing...it's currently at 133mm as it was in the Surly and I just spring the Dawes to take it - this also comes with a new SA 3 speed bar end shifter.
The chainset is an obsolete Stronglight one without a replaceable ring, standard square taper, it's new, 3/32 and I put a new 3/32 cog on the SA hub with a new 9 speed chain with power link. All setup with a 2:1 ratio, 44/22, to give about 41/54/72 gear inches.
The tyres are standard Marathons 700x32 and brand new, less than 10 miles of use, presta valve inner tubes
V-brake on front and deep drop DP on rear, levers are Tektro RL540 drop bar for v-brakes, seem to work ok with the DP as well, pads set well back off rims.
Bars are On-One Midge with 25.4mm clamp - can't remember what stem is and the forks have a steerer shim to take the 1" up to 1 1/8".
Full silver mudguards not SKS but similar style
I would like to keep the saddle
Avenir rack with p-clips for upper mounts

Basically as you see it minus lights, homemade light mount and saddle - or if you have an interest in the wheelset we can do a deal on that seperately

£300 plus any delivery charges but collection/inspection very welcome

Top Bottom