Frame Swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Padi-Diver

My question to all is this I have two cycles but wish to make one good one from the two. Handle bars etc will stay but front chain set and rear gears will need to be swapped anyone know how difficult this job could be? The reason for the chance is thumb shifters against twist grips and frame weight or would I be better off just swapping the twist grips for the thumb shifters?

Many Thanks

gbb

Legendary Member
Breaking it down PD, chainset, no problem to swap, you just need a crank extractor.

Rear gears ?..i assume you mean rear derailleur. Again, no real issues, but setting up is where it gets more difficult if you've no experience.

But we all had to learn and its not so difficult with online tutorials (i used youtube) and it was surprisingly easy in the end...yes a few tweeks afterwards, but the principles quite straightforward when you know the sequence.

Make sure you're chainset has the same amount of teeth, otherwise you may have to resite the front derailleur.
Also, i assume they're both square taper...make sure they are (or that they're both compatible with you BB)

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry PD :biggrin:
BB, your bottom bracket, the axle and bearings that your cranks are fixed to. BBs come in different sizes (axle lengths) and types (square taper, octalink, etc etc)
What sort of bikes are they?
Easiest things to check compatability...
Do they both have square taper BBs (the most common on older bikes)
Are they both double or triple chainsets. ( are there 2 or 3 sprockets on the cranks)
Do they have the same amount of teeth on the larger chainring (the biggest sprocket on the crank)

If all is the same, then its probably a straight swap.

OP
OP
P

Padi-Diver

Thanks sorry for the delay in getting back to this, I have a JACABAT BARRACUDA frame and I want to put either a DOWNLOAD CASCADE or a GEOFF WILES parts in it. I would prefer the CASCADE as the Wiles frame is quite light.

Top Bottom