Freecycle - Winter Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zzpza

As it's getting colder it's feeling more of a chore cleaning my good bike after every ride. I could just limit myself to rides when the weather's nice (I'd be cycling twice a year then) or get a winter bike that I don't care too much about.

Having just forked out dosh on a track frame and the same again on a wheelset, with still more to spend to get a full bike, I really didn't want to spend serious cash on another bike. So, I had a look at freecycle. If you've never heard of freecycle, it's like the classified ads, but everything's free (i.e. FREE reCYCLE). Freecycle run a website, and then there are regional mailing lists. People send an ad to the mailing list with their offerings and their location, you reply direct to the advertiser. As I live in Basingstoke, I joined the Basingstoke mailing list and had a look for bicycles. This ad caught my eye:

I am offering the following items:

White Raleigh Sensor (racing style bicycle) with 700 x 25c rear wheel
and 26 x 1 3/4 front (I changed the front wheel to a wider size).

Brown Hercules Folda bicycle with 20 x 1.75 wheels front and back. This
folds in half.

These are both complete working bicycles but they are very old and
would probably suit someone who is prepared to tinker with them to
get what they want rather than someone wanting a ready-to-go bike.

I also have a blue Raleigh Apollo (Racing bike) frame
and I'm re-offering the following internal doors :
Just the ticket! I even fancied the folding bike (sorry, who could say no to a free bike??). I email the guy and found out that the folding bike had gone, but the two racers were still there. I popped round this morning and collected both the full bike and the frame.

3163182697_0904ee8c08.jpg

3164017834_54e2dbfaef.jpg

I originally thought the white frame to be a bit to big and was planning on swapping the bits onto the blue frame (slightly smaller) but when I sized it up at home, I don't think it would be a problem.

I have a load of bits sat in a box from when I converted my geared trekking bike to a singlespeed. Throw these on, a lick of paint and a change of saddle and I'm sorted. :smile:

A couple of hours after taking the photo above, this is what the white bike looks like:

2009-435-julianl-mpo-IMG_1560.jpg

Tomorrow, cleaning and possibly start sanding. Then paint in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

Proper job!
Jules.

Top Bottom