Freewheel suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrunner78

I've got a cheap home brewed single speed MTB and im having freewheel trouble. Im only using it as a winter commuter as i have a new fixie and a roadie, Anyhoo, i fitted a dicta freewheel when i built it (halfrauds as its local) and the first one lasted a month before it started plinking when pedaling. It also leaked out white grease?

So i went back with it. I couldnt find my reciept thus had to buy a new one and this time i put the reciept in a safe place.

Now im in N.E Scotland and we've had a LOT of snow, ive took the commuter everyday and maybe due to the salt, sludge and water its plinking again after only about a week!

Any suggerstions for a reasonably priced reliable freewheel that i can use in the bad weather? I know about the whites one but due to the price of the bike im not splashing that much on it.

I need a 16T. Any ideas? Thanks :smile:.

tyred

Legendary Member
Look on Ebay for Shimano freewheels. I've never used one but would expect it to be decent quality.

Or, you sometimes find vintage NOS stock freewheels on Ebay, made by the likes of Raleigh/Sturmey Archer. These are very high quality and this is what I use following a number of failures of cheap freewheels (similar failures to yours).

Zoiders

He did say he was using a freewheel so it could easily be replaced with a fixed sprocket.

It depends if the MTB is really used as a MTB or just for towpaths and a bit of rough stuff, as I ride fixed on the last two but a proper MTB with gears n stuff for MTB riding in the forrest.

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

I thought it was freewheel only. It's threaded like the opposite side of my fixie. I'd easily go fixed, it's just used for road commuting to work. I had semi slicks on till the snow came. Cheaper?

lit

Take a look at the "Gusset 1er Single Speed Space Kit on this page":

Gusset Kit

Had one on my ss mtb for at least 6 months, reasonably priced, it will take knocks if you go offroad too.

Zoiders

I thought it was freewheel only. It's threaded like the opposite side of my fixie. I'd easily go fixed, it's just used for road commuting to work. I had semi slicks on till the snow came. Cheaper?
Track sprocket just spins on and then welly it down with a big chain whip and some riding, it may lack the counter threaded lockring step but it's not as big a deal as you would think.

Lockrings are not essential and some consider them to even be dangerous.

An old BB lock ring will do in a pinch on a standard hub shell, you won't need it for ever.

jage56

White Industries ENO freewheel is the bizz - used to be available from Charlie the Bikemonger but I got my last one from bikechase/swinnerton cycles - costs about £70 (yikes!) but solid and the bearings are replaceable - comes in 16T to 22T I think.

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

Track sprocket just spins on and then welly it down with a big chain whip and some riding, it may lack the counter threaded lockring step but it's not as big a deal as you would think.

Lockrings are not essential and some consider them to even be dangerous.

An old BB lock ring will do in a pinch on a standard hub shell, you won't need it for ever.

This sounds like a good low maintenance option. Thanks.

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

Update. I went for a Shimano freewheel (thanks for the links). Halfrauds were up to their necks "building" 30 bikes. The monkey boy building them wouldnt let me use the freewheel tool (he did the first time it went wrong) so i asked the manager and he handed me all the tools i needed, i just brought the wheel.

After the refund i went home, put on the freewheel, wheel back on and went for a test run. Perfect.

Thanks again :smile:.

Top Bottom