French trains or taxis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I need to get from Marseilles airport to Carpentras with 4 blokes and 4 bikes. Any advice as to the best way to do this would be appreciated. I've found it hard to get train info off the internet. A large mpv seems to cost £300 to £400 which seems a bit much for a glorified taxi. A smaller car and 2 trips (80 mile round trip) could be the cheaper option. 2 taxis each way?

Any ideas?

cheers Rich

djmc

Über Member
Taxis in Marseiles seem to be inordinately expensive - it cost us about 20 euros to get from the station to the port 2 years ago. This was with baggage and bikes. It may be less expensive to hire a vehicle in Marseilles to give it up in Carpentras.

djmc

Über Member
Taxis in Marseiles seem to be inordinately expensive - it cost us about 20 euros to get from the station to the port 2 years ago. This was with baggage and bikes. It may be less expensive to hire a vehicle in Marseilles to give it up in Carpentras.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks djmc. I suspect you're right. I've also found out that although Carpentras has a station it's only for freight trains and whilst I'd be happy to rough it .......

I've also re-checked car-hire and found an espace from auto-europe.co.uk for £250 for 5 days. At £60 each that's probably not a bad price.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks djmc. I suspect you're right. I've also found out that although Carpentras has a station it's only for freight trains and whilst I'd be happy to rough it .......

I've also re-checked car-hire and found an espace from auto-europe.co.uk for £250 for 5 days. At £60 each that's probably not a bad price.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
This may be too late if you've already booked the plane, but have you looked into Eurostar / TGV to Avignon and then cycle to Carpentras? This is how I'm planning on doing Mont Ventoux, which I assume is what you're up to in Carpentras.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
This may be too late if you've already booked the plane, but have you looked into Eurostar / TGV to Avignon and then cycle to Carpentras? This is how I'm planning on doing Mont Ventoux, which I assume is what you're up to in Carpentras.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TheDoctor said:

I have but it's a lot more expensive. Brighton to Ashford + Eurostar comes to over £200 whilst the plane is £70 with BA.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TheDoctor said:

I have but it's a lot more expensive. Brighton to Ashford + Eurostar comes to over £200 whilst the plane is £70 with BA.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
rich p said:

yeah, and £60each for the hire car, and getting to Gatwick, and fuel, motorway tolls etc...

Sounds like a fun trip anyway:biggrin:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TheDoctor said:
yeah, and £60each for the hire car, and getting to Gatwick, and fuel, motorway tolls etc...

Sounds like a fun trip anyway:biggrin:

I'd like to do the TGV but the plane is still a fair bit better in terms of price and convevience. There is no cost getting to Gatwick for me and we have a car for independence thrown in should we wish to drive and cycle somewhere else one day. Also with a 7 am flight we can be in Carpentras by midday which is a bonus on a 5 day trip.

Top Bottom