Friday night Oxford-London, 8/9 October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Just floating this to see if there's any interest. It will be Very Dark and possibly rather cold. I am, however, prepared to carry a stove and a kettle for hot tea. And a bike with proper-sized wheels; two of these on the Brompton, reliable as it is, have been quite sufficient for one season.

For previous ride see https://www.cyclechat.net/

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
This is definitely on now.

Highlights: a mini-tour of Oxford city centre, strange nocturnal wildlife of the two- and four-legged variety, gurgling water meadows, dark forests, filthy rich people's houses, a canal, challenging climbs, screaming descents and the bizarre netherworld that is Loudwater Tesco's at 3am.

We leave Oxford station (warm and well-lit) on the stroke of midnight, do a little meander through the medieval lanes of the city and then head for The Smoke. 38 miles out, there's a 24-hour Tesco with unlimited options for refreshments, except hot drinks for which we will brew up at the top of the infamous alpine ascent that is Smalldean Lane. Breakfast is at Paulo's Café in Acton, which is not in the least bit Italian and does a mega-fry up with tea and toast for less than a fiver. ETA 0630, and then you can crawl home, catch a train or simply ride a couple of miles to Earl's Court and bore people at The Cycle Show with tales of wowbadgering (a term coined by Kim of yacf, when one nearly took her out halfway up Chinnor Hill) and 50mph descents in the dark.

The pace is moderate and you are allowed to walk up some of the hills.

Who's in?

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A quick bump for this one (10 days to go). There will be a brew-up at the top of Smalldean Lane, but we only have time to boil water for about 12 cups of tea. There's an incentive to emulate the legendary Steve Kish and actually ride up the hill on a double chainset...

Tynan

Veteran
Acton is London? That might be further away than Oxford for me

Samalldean Lane is how steep?

bravo for carrying a kettle and stove

'the notorious 1 in 4, Small Dean Lane'

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Acton is London? That might be further away than Oxford for me

Samalldean Lane is how steep?

bravo for carrying a kettle and stove

Smalldean lane... consider this, me a 5'9" 12 stone porker whilst sat firmly in the saddle of a TCR was pulling the front wheel off the ground at 30x25... and I still didn't make despite some good honking.

I don't often walk!

Go for it, it's a great trip!

Smalldean lane was easy the last time I went up it .......... :whistle:
Then again, I've got three wheels and a 12.5" bottom gear, so I climb at ~3 mph ......... :tongue:

I'm booked to go on this ride.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm a non-starter for this one now, what with Whitstable (two overnight passes in one month) and family/work commitments something, unfortunately, had to give. :sad:

frank9755

Cyclist
Me too I am afraid. I've basically got confused with my diary and committed myself to doing a ride on the Saturday and can't do both.
Sorry to drop out and will definitely be looking out for the next one.

Tynan

Veteran
hmm, as is traditional I'm going to make interested noises (before dropping out), the calendar is clear, mind you I thought Oxford was North of London

I don't like hills, being 14st7 and on a double and being a London commuter but from the sounds of things the long hill isn't tooo bad and the short one is silly and no shame in failing on

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
hmm, as is traditional I'm going to make interested noises (before dropping out), the calendar is clear, mind you I thought Oxford was North of London

I don't like hills, being 14st7 and on a double and being a London commuter but from the sounds of things the long hill isn't tooo bad and the short one is silly and no shame in failing on

Walk with pride... you won't be alone!

Top Bottom