FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham near Bognor 22nd April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
- was far too warm to start and then too chilled thru to faygate (should start new thread on how to wear correct clothing during variable conditons)

Layers, dear shadow, layers. Tis always cooler in the country than in the city and its hinterland.

PS I was down your way on Sunday and again on Monday. Fancy meeting up some time?

Layers, dear shadow, layers. Tis always cooler in the country than in the city and its hinterland.

PS I was down your way on Sunday and again on Monday. Fancy meeting up some time?

My sunrise photo illustrates layers, Greg.

Layers, dear shadow, layers.

Indeed, dear Greg, indeed. That was part of the problem - I had s/s top, armwarmers, 'spring training' top (full-length zip, undone) and waterproof top (full-length zip, undone). Maybe I should not have started with them all but add them when required!

Have sent PM re this.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well I think that worked! And, judging by the e-mails I've received over the last week I'm not alone.

The new Clapham Common manouevre was an improvement on the old arrangement

The Tesco stop worked well

The A217 was nigh on empty

The halfway stop needs work - I've got to persuade Mark to tell the sausage fraternity to bog off and just offer ham sandwiches and cheese sandwiches

The cross country bit went OK

The Boat House at Felpham was a bit creaky and I might cast around....

Other than that - I had a great time. There was a harum-scarum rush from Betchworth to Faygate with Adrian, Tanya, Thom and BigSteev leading the way (and BigSteev is the most luxurious lead-out man of all - Cav should sign him up) and some gentle riding through the dawn down to West Chiltington - the photographs tell the story.

Big thankyous to Thom for fetching Martin B in to the pack (some of you may not be aware that his train was delayed and he rode down from central London in pursuit, with the two of us on the phone every 20 minutes or so) and to Thom and Tanya in particular for their sterling work as Wayfinders. And big thankyous to Adam and Matthew for their work at the back. And big thankyous to you all for making it a night to remember....

(but not like this one...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0Fld1ejiw
)
(although there will be prizes on the Whitstable run for sleeveless leopardskin tops and leather shorts...)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The Boat House at Felpham was a bit creaky and I might cast around....

The neighbouring Lobster Pot is excellent, but it couldn't cope with 100+ of us. After the Case of the Pint that Wasn't, among other things, I can well understand a search for alternatives though.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The neighbouring Lobster Pot is excellent, but it couldn't cope with 100+ of us. After the Case of the Pint that Wasn't, among other things, I can well understand a search for alternatives though.
they turned us down.....

I did scour Bognor for cafes and even came to a kind of understanding with the manager at the Norfolk, but the Boat House wanted us and does tick a few boxes - its' the nicest finish of any of the rides with the exception, possibly, of Harwich. But.......it is a wait.

wanda2010

Guru
Finally came back to catchup on the post-ride reports. Painting not complete but I've got a few more days yet.

There was a guy with tri-bars, I think, that had a front light he put on full beam at certain points during the journey. He and I rode together for a time and I was very very impressed with the light as it light up the A? road as if it was daylight. Want one! What's the make sir? You did tell me but the memory cells stopped working about 10 mins later :blush:

mangaman

they turned us down.....

I did scour Bognor for cafes and even came to a kind of understanding with the manager at the Norfolk, but the Boat House wanted us and does tick a few boxes - its' the nicest finish of any of the rides with the exception, possibly, of Harwich. But.......it is a wait.

Always a toughie for you I should imagine.

Fishbourne (not quite on the coast) has a cyclists friendly cafe. I'm a volunteer archaeologist there on a Sunday and it's packed full of cyclists from (I think Portsmouth) at 10am every Saturday - the owner is very cyclist friendly.

They may be worth approaching - the Fishbourne Roman Palace could do with all the dosh it could get.

Downsides - it's about 6-7 miles from the sea (although a lovely ride to West Wittering) and it is small - and no beer , unless a Witterings pub could be persuaded..

Shaun

Founder

they turned us down.....

I know the ride is done now, but I got an email from the (new) owner of the Lobster Pot:

--------------------------

Hello

I came across a forum on your website with some of your members suggesting that the lobster pot in felpham would be a good destination for your bike rides, I understand that the previous owner did not seem interested. I just wanted to say if you ever wanted to you would be very welcome.

Tom Barnes

Lobster Pot Felpham

--------------------------

So if you do want to organise anything where the Lobster Pot might be a good start/end/way point - then give Tom a call :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom