1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front derailer setting

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Milo, 15 Mar 2008.

1. Milo

Milo Veteran

Try as i might i can not seem to get it set up without certen gears rubbing on the chain.
    The Lbs was not to helpful and said that it might not be possible at all. A claim to which i am dubious of to be honest.
    I have shimano sora gearing (no i cant upgrade) and im certen it is not bent.

2. stevenb

stevenb New Member

My chain rubs on the front mech a little if Im on the smallest chainring and smallest sprocket........but I hardly ever use that combo...so I don't worry about it.
    I assume your front mech changes from small to large chainrings ok...and vice versa?
    When your on the smallest turn the screw in a bit (1/4 turn at a time) and you'll see the fron mech move.
    How old is the front mech? They should last quite a while.

3. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

Your LBS is correct - expect to get chainrub when in the small chainring and smallest sprockets

4. OP
    OP
    Milo

Milo Veteran

couple of months old new bike sounds like the guy was right then.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

You will get chain rub as has been said - at the extremes of the gears -don't use biggest chain ring and biggest sprocket (or smallest to smallest) as the chain line is poor (bent) and it's not mechanically good for the drive system - you'll have an overlap of gears on the other chain ring anyway.

6. OP
    OP
    Milo

Milo Veteran

i find i can use my low chanring up to a point then i have to switch to the high one at about 3 or 4 on the cassette and thats quite a high gear that i dont tend to use often as its more than 20mph normaly.
    maneged 44 down a hill today that was a rush :blush:

7. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

44mph is a fair old speed! Respect!

8. OP
    OP
    Milo

Milo Veteran

Twas a touch scary normally on that hill i bottle it at 35 or i see a car.
    There was a distinct feeling of if this goes wrong im going to hospital had to stop at the bottom and wipe of the tears.

9. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

I did the same thing. The first ride on my bike i got chain rub and was concerned and went to the LBS and he fiddled with the front mech abit. On the small chainring i only go so far before the chain bends and rubs constantly. When that happens i either spin or go up a couple of gears and go into the bigger chain ring.
    When i did 44mph i only thought about how much it would have hurt when i had got to the bottom. :biggrin:

10. OP
    OP
    Milo

Milo Veteran

So it is just something that happens then on road bikes it.
    Twas never an issue on the MTB hay ho il just get used to it i suppose rattly noises drive me mad though.

11. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

If you have a two ring set up, you should be able to trim the front mech if it is set up right. Ie, a short tap on the lever will move the mech enough to stop it rubbing.

12. OP
    OP
    Milo

Milo Veteran

hmm will try dont have levers clips on the hoods sora gearing and twisting brake handles

13. OP
    OP
    Milo

Milo Veteran

You genius all fixed thank you.

14. monnet

monnet Über Member

I know the problem has now been solved but as the bike is fairly new, I'll my tuppence. On fairly new bikes, as you wear them in the cables stretch. So if it happens again in the next few weeks you might want to think about tightenin g the front mech cable.