Front Derailleur slap!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpb

i've just changed all the components on my Orbea bike to Ultegra 6700. this is the first time i've done this and have found it not too bad with the exception of the front derailleur. its at the correct height on my seat tube and also in line with the outer chain ring which is all good. when shifting from the large to small chainring...the derailleur makes a bit of a slap noise but isn't slapping against the tube. is this a cable tension problem. wasn't sure. its tight when on the large chainring but not on the small. the noise is fustration and i'm getting a little impatient now. please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoiders

Sounds like a perfectly working brand new front mech firing the chain across the rings in an enthusiastic manner - as they should. Having the stop set ever so slightly too low for the top ring can make the mech wind up a bit under tension and kick back when released a bit too smartly, you would notice this at the shifter though as it will resist the last click as you shift to the big ring.

Give it time and the spring will lose a bit of it's kick.

You may want to check it's rest position as well, if it's closing completely you might get a transfer of sound as it snaps shut near the frame.

OP
OP
J

jpb

thanks for the reply. i can calm down a little now (it was getting a little tedious!). i've just played around with the limit screw so its near to the chain as possible without causing rub and this seems to have reduced it ever so slightly. Many thanks for the haste response, i would of stressed about this all night. Apart from this problem i've enjoyed putting this bike together and doing it yourself makes you appreciate it a little more. Thanks guys :-)

OP
OP
J

jpb

just read your last part zoiders. i think it is shutting completely and the sound is indeed transferred through the frame.

Top Bottom