Front end Clicks and Clunks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimC

Hi, I am relatively inexperienced with bike surgery (although am very proud to have refitted and re greased the BB last month!) and would really appreciate any tips/advice on this real pain in the arse problem - especially as I am starting the LEJOG next weekend!!:

I've worryingly loud clicks and clunks coming from what sounds to be either the forks or stem area of my Giant SCR3 (carbon forks, ally frame). I've tried many combinations of loose and tight stem top bolt, and both the bolts gripping the stem to the fork tube, and the bolts gripping the bars to the stem are properly dogged up.

Cheers
Tim

It could be a couple of loose spokes, you would be amazed at how much noise they can make.

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

really? wow - what would I need to tighten them?

The noise seems to happen when my weight distribution shifts from front to back (and back to front) - so any uneven surfaces, heavy pedaling or just leaning forward or back make it happen.

Do I just give the spokes a shake to check the tension on them?

Cheers

Get a spoke key and go around them just trying to turn them with light amounts of pressure, if you find a loose one it will be obvious, you may want to look on line for a guide on tightening them as you can put the wheel out of true when you mess with them.

redjedi

Über Member
That sounds similar to something I had a while ago, and I was convinced it was something to do with my handle bars.

I found out it was actually my seat post, and it needed re-lubing. Try putting your hands on the front and back of the seat and shifting your weight around.

It's suprising how sound travels

if the hub isn't well sealed i.e shimano mtb hub, it could possibly be a bit of water in the front wheel bearings.
i had a similar noise, so stripped and cleaned the hub and the noise stopped.

barq

You can roughly check spoke tension by squeezing pairs together. If one is loose you'll feel it. Don't go mad with a spoke key, its very easy to think "I'll just give this a turn to tighten it up" and suddenly find the whole wheel is out of true. :smile: Come back here if you need advice.

Sound does travel along alu frames in quite an odd way making it quite hard to locate. I've also had the experience of thinking the creak was coming from the front when in fact it was the saddle rails.

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

Good god - it was the seat post, I think that I had overtightened it at some point, but it's cleaned fully greased and not grumbled once over 25m this morning.

Massive thanks all.

The spokes seem fine btw, just in case anyone is worried...

Top Bottom