Front end wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
after some heavy braking this morning due to nearly getting sideswipped by some twunt with an iced up window I have now got some side to side wobble from what feels like my front end.

It moves from side to side and feels like a badly buckled wheel however both wheels show no sign of a buckle and run straight. Also I can feel no sideways movement on either wheel bearing when I move the wheel from side to side with me off the bike.

Is this likely to be a wheel bearing issue or anyone else got any other pointers for investigation ?

Is it lined up in the dropouts?
Are the handlebars still aligned straight?
Spokes still tense?
Any headset play now?

Landslide said:
Broken axle? The QR skewer will hold it tight enough to prevent play in the bearings, but under load the wheel might wobble about?

Good call, yes it would. Happened to me on a tour and I didn't figure why it was wobbling until I stripped the wheel to check the bearings.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Spokes still tight and no play in the headset. Handlebars straight and wheel looked to be lined up in the dropouts and just took the wheel off to double check and all seems OK. Its a really strange feeling just like watching one of those black and white films where they are driving moving the wheel from side to side. Seems like a strip out of the front axle is the way forward then. Thanks all

OP
OP
4F

4F

alecstilleyedye said:
coloured tyre? sometimes if you look at them while riding the variation in the colour can make the wheel look wobbly, if you see what i mean.

Yes to coloured tyres but it feels unnervingly wobbly especially when you take 1 hand of the bars to indicate, not looks wobbly.

OP
OP
4F

4F

fossyant said:
Take wheel out, if axel falls out, it's knackered.

Check for battered nerves as well !

LOL Have taken wheel out and everything stayed in place so possibly a fracture to the axle rather than a complete break. I will strip the whole thing down this weekend and see what I can find. Think I will give the 14 mile commute home a miss though as sods law will dictate that this will fail big time when I am out in the countryside part of my commute ;)

Top Bottom