Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

If it's for an unlit trail or cycle route at night I would give some thought to a head torch.

For a pootle it's just the job http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=250

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Head torches have their benefits. Cheap 1w torches (like the Tesco/Aldi ones) can often be put on helmets with some velcro adapters.

The Smart lights are good value for money, too. If you have the budget look at B&M, Hope and Exposure. The B&M tend to have German standards which are superior to UK

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
what are these lights like since i am after a new one since the one i had on my hybrid doesn't fit the road bike.

what size does the bracket goto.

thanks

The brackets on the Smart front lights tend to be around 10mm wide on the bars, mine fit on standard roadie bars. Some are screw fit, some have a kind of QR clip. I forget which lights come with which so you might need to look at the packet or the official website.

The lights are quite bright with a strong center spot. They also have the "cut off" (like the B&M) to stop upwards glare. They're not as bright as the Hope, but thats why those and the Exposure lights cost a bit more.

The brackets on the Smart front lights tend to be around 10mm wide on the bars, mine fit on standard roadie bars. Some are screw fit, some have a kind of QR clip. I forget which lights come with which so you might need to look at the packet or the official website.

The lights are quite bright with a strong center spot. They also have the "cut off" (like the B&M) to stop upwards glare. They're not as bright as the Hope, but thats why those and the Exposure lights cost a bit more.

thanks downfader, these seem really good value.

by the pictures on sites it looks like a qr clip but the description states it has 3 point adjustment bracket via a screw.

might goto the town and have a look in either halfords or LBS if they have them.

the problem i have is the cables come out of the bar tape and i couldn't get my current bracket under them i think because the qr clip is at the front, and therefore gets in the way. if can get one with the clip or screw lock at the back i might be able to feed the bracket under the cables then it will be fine.

thats my thinking anyway.

Zoiders

I am not so sure if the smart is a "to be seen with" or "to see with" light.

Thats why I said maybe try the alpkit for cycle routes at night.

I have a Smart Polaris and think it's a 'be seen with' light. I have never been off road with it but occasionally it comes in handy when walking my dog up the park at night and the beam, though impressive for the price, wouldn't inspire confidence on an unlit trail. Very good value for around town mind.

Bill

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you need a light to see with then there isn't really a cheap one. You can import a magicshine light for about $80 and that you will be able to use to light a lot of the road ahead of you.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The smart one is probably best front light for £15 yo can get, bt it will not fit oversized bars :sad:

Hmmm..? The one I had I could adjust (you take the bracket apart by removing the screw and pull the ring around to enlarge it). I've got EA90 bars so they're not super slim.

i would like to thank you for the advice.

i have ordered the smart lunar 35, if i decide that i need another light then i will get one and use this as a backup if it fits.

went to halfords to day and they had it in stock for £45 and the box stated it fits bars upto 31.8mm.

Top Bottom