Front Lights to 'see' with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The Smart Lunar 35 is a good little light for £25 a go. They don't rival the Hope Vision 1 but I ride country roads using one of these and a 1W 'Lifeline' from Wiggle and the only hairy bits can be fast downhills as the lights are a little narrow focussed.

I am looking at a 900 lumen torch (sku.50322) from DealExtreme though, so that I will be able to go off road more comfortably.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

scouserinlondon

bumping this thread as quite good.

Can I ask for a recommendation?

I live/commute in london so not really worried about lighting the world up til now and do my road bike cycling in daylight normally. I am looking to do a couple of eve ride a week in Richmond park so want to get a light that will be okay for that

any recommendations for this? The chap in the bike shop reconned two cateye uno would be okay but reading through this I doubt it!

thanks

edit. re budget, I am just looking to spend the least to do the job....if that means £150 I would do it but would rather pay less.

Not interested in torch solutions!
I love my hope 1 tbh, if you're in the £100 category buy one, if you want two maybe negotiate at your LBS, you may get two for under £150. I use Lidl 2100 hyrbid batteries and charge it twice a week.

davidg

cheers all.

have gone with the Hope 1. managed to get it for £69 via an Evans price match and ordered the high current AAs recommended as well

Jezston

Über Member
Just got a Fenix TK 35: http://www.fenixligh...oduct.asp?id=86

It's got the new X-ML Led and is pumping out 820 lumens out the front. Amazing power and value (if you can get it from HK it will be around £70).

I'll be mounting mine to my stem.

You know I wish I'd paid more heed to all this stuff before I bought my Hope Vision One. The Hope is bright, but I'd like something that actually properly illuminates orangey lit roads at night.

Also, I was just wondering what the hell happened to you, Origamist - looked at your profile earlier and noticed you hadn't posted for almost a month - and then you reappear! Did I summon you or something? ;)

scouserinlondon

You know I wish I'd paid more heed to all this stuff before I bought my Hope Vision One. The Hope is bright, but I'd like something that actually properly illuminates orangey lit roads at night.

Also, I was just wondering what the hell happened to you, Origamist - looked at your profile earlier and noticed you hadn't posted for almost a month - and then you reappear! Did I summon you or something? ;)

I'm happy with the Hope 1, but I know what you mean, it does have rather too much throw and not enough flood. I have a Fenix torch on my lid and it's really effective. I have it on low on the well lit main roads and up the intensity on the back streets or the common.

scouserinlondon

If I were in the market for new lights I'd give magicshine a go tbh. for £50 notes it's worth a punt in my view.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Like a genie (that resembles the Great Soprendo) your wish is my command...

I'll take some pics of the set-up and and beam shots when it arrives.

I use Raleigh RSP6's. Two lights, 600 lumens in full power (about 3 hours ride time) per charge. I've been told by other cyclists (and by the missus in the car coming in the other direction) that it's blinding. Ride down an unlit single lane coutnry road on my way home and have no problems seeing potholes, tree branches etc.. They're £75 (a little over your budget) but have been the best money I've spent on cycle kit so far!

AhThisFeckinThing

I have ordered an Uno with TL610 For the rear. Will the Uno be bright enough, as some oF my commute is in the middle oF the night and I do have to use country lanes which do not get moonlight, let alone street light. I need to see the road surace.

Top Bottom