Front Mech Problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Okay, so today much to my dismay, when riding home from my dads my chain got jammed. I was changing down from 3rd - 2nd chain wheel when it happened. The chain kind of doubled up and jammed on the front mech and the rear mech's top jockey wheel look like it was pushed up into the chainstay. I managed to unjam it, but now the chain rattles in every single gear unless it is on the largest sprocket on the cassette. So I had to cycle the last 7 miles home with a rattling chain. Any idea of what I need to do to sort this out? The chain rattles on the middle bit on the chain guard, and when it is on the granny ring the chain guard looks just millimeters away from touching the rear wheel. Have I mananged to bend the front mech in some way?
Any tips would be appreciated ready for me to tackle tomorrow. I haven't tried to fix it tonight, thought I'd drink a few bottles of lager instead. Made me feel a bit better anyway:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just give it a good check over - inspect the chain, ensure that the front mech is in line with the chain rings, and that the rear mech is ok.

You could have knocked out the indexing when the rear mech got pushed up...

Mr Pig

Maybe the chain was mucky, had too much oil on it or something and wrapped around the front chain-ring, that would pull the chain up tight and could jam in the front mech. I doubt you've done permanent damage, you might need to bend/move the front mech a bit.

If you can't see for yourself what's wrong though you'd probably be better taking it to a good bike shop.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Great advice Mr Pig :smile:

If the rear mech was bent double, DON'T ride it until you've checked if the mech has been bent. Easy to check, put it in the largest ring at the rear and stand behind the bike. if its bent the cassette ring and jockeys won't line up. Yuo may have bent the cassette of the hanger-Sorry can't tell you which without seeing it. Hanger will look visibly bent if its that though.

It does sound like the front mech has been twisted and moved. Check the cage is straight with the chain first. that is what sounds like it has happened

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I have managed to fix the gears. It looks like when the chain got jammed, it pushed the front mech out of line. I had to loosen the clamp and reposition it. Then faff with adjusting the front mech again. Taken it on a test ride and everything now seems to be fine.

Top Bottom