Front Suspension Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyashy

I have coil sprung front suspension on my MB, but one for doesn't move whatsoever. I've taken the suspension apart, and can't see any bend in the inner fork, or any real problems with the rubber sheath thats inside the fork.
Are there any steps I can take to fix this problem? The other fork is working perfectly.

RedBike

Eat more pies?

The other fork is working perfectly? Do you mean only one leg moves?

OP
OP
M

mattyashy

That's the word I was looking for, leg. Only the right leg moves, the left one has to be forced on, and then gets jammed, so no movement.
I think I've had enough food this Xmas to try and fix it that way, but nothing :smile::sad:

RedBike

Every fork is different but most designs have the spring in one leg and the damper/ rebound in the other. Obviously something has seized, but from your desciption I can't even guess what it could be.

If this is a reasonably good fork then I would take it to get serviced. The cost will obviously depend a lot on what exactly is wrong with the fork, but I would expect it to be upwards of £50. If you're lucky then it will only require new bushes. But if the stantions are bent it might cost all most as much as a new fork to have it repaired.

If this is a cheap fork then I would try and download the service manuals and have a go at replacing the bushes + re-filling it with oil yourself. If it needs anything more than this you'll probably be better off biting the bullet and just getting a new fork.

Top Bottom