Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Had mine for a few months now, several hundred miles on them so here's my thoughts.
Mine are the 2009s from Merlin Cycles, at £150 i thought they were a bargain.
I really meant to weigh the WS32s that came with the Bianchi to see if the Fulcrums actually are lighter...but i never got round to it. I'll do that soon and post the results.
Couple of really nice points if you like to tinker...the cartridge bearings are really quite easy to replace, even in the rear hub. The freehub couldnt be easier to get off, you can strip the hubs in minutes. I gather the hubs are basically campag design.
Freehub is spectacularly noisy, no chance of creeping up on anyone :biggrin: , look on youtube for reviews, you'll see what i mean...it really is noisy, but ive put oil in mine while i had them apart and its now very quiet.

After those several hundred miles (500 to1000) of commuting and general riding, the braking surfaces are showing no signs of wear. (i use Ultegra pads BTW)

No issues with spokes, wheels are still as true as the day i got them, bear in mind i'm only 10.5 stone though.

Fitting gators to mine was a nightmare. i actually walked away after 45 minutes of trying to get the first tyre on, calm down, think and try again. A little lube on the last bit of bead and use your tyre levers to 'slide ' the bead on works much much better. i punctured last month and actually got the tyre on without levers, so it does get easier.

The downsides...they seemed very 'tight' spinning the new wheels on the bike when its upturned. maybe 10 or 20 revolutions and they came to a standstill :sad: . This is probably because they are fully packed with grease and havn't run in. I guess they'd free up after a while and this may be true of many brand new wheels, but me being impatient, i immediately upgraded the bearings to a low friction seal type. The difference was instant. Spin them as before, they just run and run and run.
This made me think...if i were buying new wheels for an up and coming race...i'd get them early and let them free up first (assuming my theory's correct about new bearings)...if i were a racer :blush:
My best guage is a downhill i frequently use on one of my routes. I always go down there at circa 27 mph. With the Fulcrums, i'm frequently doing 30 mph now. Freewheelings noticeably better as well, they really do roll well.

The other slight downside...one of the Fulcrum stickers is just beginning to peel, but this may be my fault. I frequently clean the bike at work using some heavy duty cleaner, well diluted in a spray bottle. Its very quick and effective, but maybe a little too harsh for the stickers, so maybe my fault.

In short...
Phenomenally easy to work on the hubs, the design couldnt be simpler.
They seem durable and work well commuting as well as longer rides. Braking is very effective with no noticeable wear on the rims.
Much stiffer than my Shimano Tiagras (which are flexy) although i never noticed flex in my WS32s.
6001 standard cartridge bearings if anyones interested, 6001-2RSL is the designation i used with low frictions seals...instant improvement.
A little tight at first, you'd hope (and i'm sure they will) free up with a bit of use.
Rim stickers may or may not come of after a while (see above first though)
Mine came with Hope skewers. Even they look nice.

I love em :tongue: :biggrin:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Thanks for taking the time to write the review. I am looking to upgrade the wheels on my Secteur Sport and I had it down to either these or Mavic Aksium. Still not really sure, but the Fulcrum's are better looking IMHO. What tools do you need to remove the cartridge bearings by the way? Sorry just curious.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
It'd be interesting to see exactly how a LBS fits bearings. My method...and one that works all the time at work on a multitude of machinery and conveyors, is to use a length of threaded bar, some nuts and washers.
Threaded bar through the hub (old bearings already drifted out), slide bearings on either side, use some washers that'll ideally be the same OD as the bearing, and tighten the nuts to pull the bearings into the hub. You have to make sure they dont go in skewed and that you dont force the inner race.
Otherwise, all you need is a 17mm and a 13 mm spanner for the locknuts (17mm) and the inner bearing supports (13mm).
TBF, spannering is my job so there's no problem doing jobs like this. Took me maybe 1/2 hour to remove and fit new bearings.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Weight comparisons (i eventually got round to it)
WS32 wheelset, front and rear weighs 2.2 kg
Fulcrum 5, front and rear.......................1.756 kg

Over 400gms lighter :ohmy:

Garz

Squat Member
I would have to agree, I read recently these were on par with the Aksium's but as they are really solid and the British roads are in such a bad state would swing to getting these for sure.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've had a set of 5's for just over 12 months. They do free up rather quickly and turn into nice speedy wheels. I had not problems with spoke tension/trueness right up until the point where the rear hub split from one of the spoke holes......

I've currently been without the wheels for over 8 weeks waiting for Ribble/Fulcrum to sort out a repair/replacement.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Just an update of information while i was reading the users manual....rider weight.
This could be important, but you see no mention of it in normal advertising.

Recommended rider weights..

Riders under 82kg, no problem
Riders between 82 and 109kg, users must be vigilant and inspect the wheels regularly
Riders in excess of 109 kg, should not use these wheels.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I would have to agree, I read recently these were on par with the Aksium'sas they are really solid and th but e British roads are in such a bad state would swing to getting these for sure.

Well i can vouch for that this morning...
Just entering work and there's a storm drain in the entrance road. I always avoid it of course, but this morning i wans't on it and put the front wheel right into the slots...BANG...jesus :ohmy: :sad: .
Inspected and the tyre shows where the impact was, but the wheels undamaged and true, no loose spokes, nothing. :whistle:

Thank Christ for that !!!!

Simon Cash

I was wondering where did you go for your bearings? LBS or engineering shop that sells bearings?
I have some Fulcrum 5's on Cervelo S1, found them really great until i hit a particularly nasty pothole that blew both tyres and dinged front rim. Have "borrowed" front wheel from riding partner who had banged up his rear wheel and ended up with new set, hence spare front wheel. It is a Mavic Kysirium Elite (??), several years old but spins up beautifully so am beginning to wonder what wheelset is needed for me.
Noticed that the F5 rear wheel is particularly rough to spin, think it is time to try new bearings and see how that goes for a while.
Happy to hear any thoughts.
Simon
(Hobart, Tasmania)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I was wondering where did you go for your bearings? LBS or engineering shop that sells bearings?
I have some Fulcrum 5's on Cervelo S1, found them really great until i hit a particularly nasty pothole that blew both tyres and dinged front rim. Have "borrowed" front wheel from riding partner who had banged up his rear wheel and ended up with new set, hence spare front wheel. It is a Mavic Kysirium Elite (??), several years old but spins up beautifully so am beginning to wonder what wheelset is needed for me.
Noticed that the F5 rear wheel is particularly rough to spin, think it is time to try new bearings and see how that goes for a while.
Happy to hear any thoughts.
Simon
(Hobart, Tasmania)
Being in the engineering game, i 'pulled a few strings' and got some through my local bearing supplier. Most towns in the UK will have a transmission/bearing supplier for industry, Fenners, BSL, Wyko etc plus smaller independants.
Not having read back at what i've said so far, i got some 6001-2RSL (IIRC). They have low friction seals, markedly better than standard -2RS, inevitably a bit more expensive, but...

Being 'in the engineering game', you realise there's a whole world of difference between cheap unbranded and good quality branded bearings.
If possible, i'd go for SKF, FAG, INA...almost any good european manufactured bearing. Anything unbranded WILL be poorer quality.

Top Bottom