Fun on Greenham Common......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...I remember when the Common was headline news :becool: - it looks like more fun today!:biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

Being local (Newbury) I know it well, I also spent 10 years of my life working on the common,when it was an active cruise missile base for the USAF 501st. If you are going to do that sort of thing you need to pick the right pond to cycle into...Some of them were created when HUGE underground fuel tanks were excavated as part of the return to heathland project after the base closed, and as a result are VERY deep indeed, the sort of very deep that would cause you to drown! Pick the wrong 'pond' to cycle into and you'll be disappearing into 15' of water, surface area isn't a safe guide either.

yoyo

As a local, I avoided getting frostbite and headed for the south coast which was tropical 8 degrees by comparision. I would certainly second the safety issue and I wouldn't have fancied anyone falling off - they would have been sooooo cooollllldddd.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
'I'm deeply disappointed that no-one fell off in the middle!' Says simonali.

No need for your disappointment:-

15zqih2.jpg

simonali

Guru
As there's so many locals here, I have an OT question.

Can you tell me a good publication for property sales in that area? My house is on the market and the plan is to move somewhere between Marlborough in the west and Newbury in the east. I pop over and buy the Newbury Herald every now and then, but are there any others I could get?

Top Bottom