Gambling

postman

Legendary Member
So this morning a former footballer tells he has relapsed back into having a bet.I am not going to comment on that.But i am sick and tired of seeing gambling shoved out on telly commercials and on newspaper web sites.It makes me laugh when said footballers mates push adverts to get people betting how ironic.Gigs are banned on telly and i think gambling to this extent is even worse,because kids and wives suffer along with parents.So i would like to see gambling adverts stopped on telly.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think we would all like to see gambling ads banned, but unfortunately money talks. Just look at all the clubs sponsored by gambling companies, I think it is 60% in the top two English divisions.

tom73

Veteran
Gambling addiction is now known to be many times harder to stop than a heroin one.
Yes it's legal and yes most don't have a problem and many don't but so is drinking and the same things can be said for that too. But it's accepted that drinking for the good of all is controlled. Hence why you're not free to go to pub and have a pint of whiskey. But yet you are free to pour 1000's of quid a time into a fix betting machine.
Something has to change how is the question and who has the bottle to do it. Together with real understanding of what the issues are. As with many social issues it's complex sadly most ruling classes don't want to take time to find out or even care but use them as chance to leap on the bandwagon for a few extra votes.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I couldn't agree more. An objective evidence based approach is needed. This has all the characteristics of the classic Middle Class moral panic.
Could you possibly provide links to the assertions you make?
I'm not in the industry any more btw, but have some knowledge of it.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Gambling addiction is now known to be many times harder to stop than a heroin one.
Yes it's legal and yes most don't have a problem and many don't but so is drinking and the same things can be said for that too. But it's accepted that drinking for the good of all is controlled. Hence why you're not free to go to pub and have a pint of whiskey. But yet you are free to pour 1000's of quid a time into a fix betting machine.
Something has to change how is the question and who has the bottle to do it. Together with real understanding of what the issues are. As with many social issues it's complex sadly most ruling classes don't want to take time to find out or even care but use them as chance to leap on the bandwagon for a few extra votes.

Absolutely .
But the big name celebrities are coining it, I think Ray Winston needs a proper kicking, as long as they say ( and we gamble responsibly) yeah right..

I guess we could blame all the knife crime on gaming but as you say its all out of proportion, but why are we allowing all this TV coverage?

And as some individuals are getting very rich a lot are getting very poor.

I love the way they show gamblers as smart savy upwardly trendy professional people.. Pity they don't film the ads in a frigging bookies..

tom73

Veteran
Absolutely .
But the big name celebrities are coining it, I think Ray Winston needs a proper kicking, as long as they say ( and we gamble responsibly) yeah right..

I guess we could blame all the knife crime on gaming but as you say its all out of proportion, but why are we allowing all this TV coverage?

And as some individuals are getting very rich a lot are getting very poor.

I love the way they show gamblers as smart savy upwardly trendy professional people.. Pity they don't film the ads in a frigging bookies..
Totally I'm not saying they don't need dealing with because they clear do. Why they are allowed to advertise the way they do and as easy as they do is a mystery. It just winds me up that parties and governments of all colour look for a simple quick fix with little or no understanding of the real issues. Some of use have not spent years formally studying them for them to be turned into a few sound bites and votes along the way.

Top Bottom