Game Of Thrones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biglad

I've been waiting for this since HBO first announced it. I'm a massive fan of the George R R Martin series and was scared about a TV show messing it up... But as I followed the production I began to come around to the idea, and after watching the first episode this evening, it did not disappoint. It stuck very closely to the book (minus the nipple twisting), which I was happy about. The set pieces and locations were beautiful and almost exactly as I imagined, an the characters were spot on.

Just wondering if any other cyclechat members were interested in this? Or even the series of books...

Svendo

Guru
I have a tangental interest.
George R.R. Martin edited and wrote one of the stories in 'Songs of the Dying Earth' an anthology of stories set in the fantasy setting of the master Jack Vance. Guardian had a review of the TV series today ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-ra...pr/18/game-of-thrones-dont-believe-the-gripes ) and will be having a series blog.
I don't have SKY so will have to decide if I want to get the box set. Not sure I've got the commitement for a to-be-seven volume fantasy series. I'm still working my way through Vance, and filling in gaps in my Moorcock reading as well as reading Matthew Hughes's Vance-like work. And then there's the ever growing pile of cycling related books.

OP
OP
biglad

biglad

A fellow Moorcock fan! I'm a little new to his work and have only read a collection of Elric stories (from the Fantasy Masterworks series) but on a trip to East Grinstead to see my girlfriends folks I managed to grab a few Elric tales, and also a few of the Runestaff novels too. So they're currently on my list. Vance is an author who's books I haven't explored but a colleague raves about him, so he's on my radar!

It's definitely worth a watch, it does lean more towards high/epic fantasy, and I'm getting the impression that you're more of a science-fantasy fan maybe? But it still has some wonderful themes and the plot is so rich and complex. The moral ambiguity alone has shades of Moorcock, but I think thats where the similarity ends.

Top Bottom