Garmin 305, Polar CS200 or Cateye V3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonesome_rider

Yet another bike computer question.

After much reading the above 3 models seem to be highly recommended.

The Garmin being the most expensive @ around £136... the V3 @ £95 and CS200 @ £75.

I think the Garmin is too advanced for my needs and many of the features probably wasted on me. The V3 seems a favourite on here, not sure if downloads to the PC though.

The CS200 looks good and is my current favourite at the moment.

I am wanting to keep a check on my heart rate. See how far I have travelled and how long it has taken me. Maybe see what calories I have burnt off. See what my speed is etc. I think these are the basics with most bike computers anyway.

Also wanting to download to the Pc (Vista) and compare my routes, to see if I am improving or getting worse.

Out of the 3 that I have mentioned... what are people thoughts/advice. Do any of you own one of them... and what do you think of it?

Cheers,

Gazza.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

The Garmin is defo out as its just too advanced for my needs.

Awaiting a copy of Cycling Plus May 2008 which has reviewed many Bike Computers.

A big thanks to andyfromotley for this :tongue:

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

I will keep my thread updated ;)

After what I said about the Garmin 305... its actually at the top of my list now. The more I read about it, the more I fancy one.

Just a shame PC World have no stock as they are doing them for £99.97.

Are these being phased out now? Reason why I ask as quite a few places have no stock now. Play are sold out and Amazon just have one left.

yello

I suspect that now the 705 is out that there will be some deals on the 305 to be had.

Personally, I would opt for a 305 over the Cateye or Polar. When I bought mine, I did think I was being a little excessive but it has proved itself to be a fabulous device. I love being able to plot rides and go, or just to look at the track once I'm home after a meander about. I think it fair to say it's changed the way I ride.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Its the HR one only, the cheapest HR one after that is Just under £139.99 delivered from Halfords using the current spend £100+ voucher they have going.

You try and find a PC World that has them in stock though.

PC World are also doing the 205 for £49.97 and again all sold. Pointless having it on the site.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Just been on the phone to PC World as they can check every store. The Garmin 305 has in fact been discontinued according to them and will be removed from the website shortly.

So its a case of grab one while you can by the looks of it... and Halfords are the cheapest.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Sod it, I have ordered one from Halfords. Gone for new instead of 2nd hand so as to get my warranty.

Cost me £137.26 delivered after going through Quidco (4% cashback) and using the current £5 voucher they have on offer.

Top Bottom