Garmin Edge 305

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was not sure where to ask this but hopefully a few of you in here will have the Garmin Edge 305.

A couple of questions.

1. I seem to have lost the beep and backlight when riding a programmed route. I have looked in the manual and gone through all the settings but cannot work out how to get the beep and backlight back for the turns.

2. Standing on the beach today the Elevation box was reading -27m, obviously something not quite right there. Has anyone got any ideas on that one?

Thanks for the help.

Steve

PalmerSperry

2. Standing on the beach today the Elevation box was reading -27m, obviously something not quite right there. Has anyone got any ideas on that one?

The Edge 305's altitude reading is never 100% accurate! GPS based height calculation is apparently not that easy to do. My Edge 305, before it randomly died, reported my house as being ±100m the actual altitude of my house!

yello

1. I seem to have lost the beep and backlight when riding a programmed route. I have looked in the manual and gone through all the settings but cannot work out how to get the beep and backlight back for the turns.

Gosh, I didn't even know it did that! I suspect it's something to do with whether you've waypoints on your track, or not.... or something. I only ever load 'follow the breadcrumb' tracks.

Agree with the altitude thing though. Gradient also is decidedly dodgy. I've had climbs registering 20% when it's nearer half that.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is funny you say that Vello because I never knew it did that either but then it took on a life of its own and started to do it and I was really pleased and then it has stopped.

I think it must depend on which programme you use to download the route from. I am using Marengo at the moment but if anyone knows of a programme that will get the lights and beeps back, please let me know.

Steve

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Regarding the altitude.

I have just been told that when I turn the Edge on I should leave it for 2-3 minutes to allow it to settle, before asking it to do something.

I will give this a go tomorrow because I was on the move when I turned ity on today so I may have confused it.

I will take a look at that Vello, thanks.

Steve

PalmerSperry

I have just been told that when I turn the Edge on I should leave it for 2-3 minutes to allow it to settle, before asking it to do something.

Aye ... That should generally get it pretty close to what the true value is. With the Edge 500 (and presumably the 800 too?) you can set highpoints into the memory, then if there's one with 30m when you press [Start] it sets the altitude to that. (Slightly annoying that it only does it when you press start IMHO.)

zoxed

Über Member

IIRC the backlight is toggled on/off with the power button.
For the beep: do you still get the turn approaching display ?
Also: IIRC the Garmin is very fussy about the format of the file you give it: have you changed the software you use to create the route recently ?

Top Bottom