Garmin Edge 800 maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Is the map that comes as standard with the Edge 800 any good or am I as wise to purchase the OS Landranger version too? I only travel on the roads in Cumbria at the moment as a road cyclist.

Thanks

Paul :thumbsup:

zizou

Veteran
The standard map is very basic, most roads aren't on it so not really fit for purpose as a map.

I have both the map packs (navigator and OS) and both are good. I prefer the OS ones because i like the detail of OS mapping however others find there to be too much information and cluttered as a result. The OS maps are expensive on their own (£100+) so if you choose to get them best to get that as part of the bundle rather than buying them seperate. The city navigator maps are a bit cheaper i got mine on amazon for about £25

There are free open source maps available too, i havent used them though so dont know what they are like

User269

For road maps I use Garmin City Navigator, which of course you have to buy as an extra. For OS maps, you can buy, I think, 600sq K chunks for £20 using the Garmin BaseCamp software. I think it's very cost effective as you only pay for, and select, the coverage you want.

zacklaws

Guru
I use all the above mentioned maps, plus the Velo map which has not been mentioned:-

OS map, excellent out in the country, but in built up areas etc, absolutley rubbish, far too much detail which overwhelms the route your trying to follow, plus it is not helped by the Edges pink line your trying to follow for your course blending in with the map. After getting lost a few times in succession last week and not being able to spot my course on the edge of Hull, I had to switch to one of the OSM maps which only had the roads and the course I was following and not every little bit of detail imaginable and then realised how good they are.

As for the Velo map itself, it has a tendency to alter your course your following across country for some unknown reason which is no good if you only ride on roads, change back to an OSM, Garmin or OS map and your course switches back to road only, but Velo map may be Ok for MTB'ers.

Out of the OSM maps I find the following the best:-

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

But the one mentioned above from:-

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

is also good but find it also has a tendency to want to go across country sometimes, but what I like about these maps is they have contours as well, but you can also just download the contours and use them in conjunction with the other OSM map above, but it does not always work for some unknown reason.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use OpenCycleMaps (in an Etrex but they work in Edge's I'm told) on an SD card. Much better than the standard Garmin maps, much cheaper than OS, loads of extra cycling specific detail, (Bike shops, cafes, etc.) and cheap as chips from OpenCycleMap.org

deadhead1971

Since writing my blog post (linked above), I've made a very brief tutorial to show people how easy it is to install a free OSM map (from talkytoaster.info)
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/01/tutorial-how-to-install-free-osm-maps-to-your-garmin-edge-800/

deadhead1971

Standard maps are pretty useless, now using OpenCycleMap which so far have found to be very good, easy to use and good value for money.
I think it depends on where you live as to how complete the Open maps are.
I live in North Wales and there can't be that many people contributing to open maps yet, as many minor roads simply aren't on the map.
I've added a few myself (it's easy enough to do) and in time, it will become more relevant. But it needs more contributors.

Top Bottom