gatorskins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

guys just put on new 23c gatorskins, and it was hard going but got there in the end.

I was wondering do these tyres get easier at the side of the road once they have been used for a while.

any tips towards pucture repairs with these tyres highly appreciated

jackthelad

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have them on my pub bike. Never had a problem with them.

To be honest, I tend only to get a puncture when its wet or raining, which does make getting them off and back on a lot easier, but they do stretch a little over time.

The folded ones are even harder so I switched back to the normal ones which were easier.

Great tyres though, I love em,and would not switch to anything else anymore

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Just need patience getting them on! I've read reports of people easily getting past 1000km of riding before their first puncture. I've just fitted a pair of 25mm gatorskins myself.

gbb

Legendary Member
What wheels are you running Jack ?
I run gators on all my wheels, some are swines, some are ok.
Ambrosio wheels, tight, but no problem
Shimano Tiagras, a bit tighter, hard work in the winter, not too bad in the summer.
Fulcrums...absolute barstwards.
The knack ive found is to use a broad tyre lever (ive got the blue Park tools levers) and use the lever to push (slide ) the tyre onto the rim (working round the rim if that makes sense), ....not lever it on.
A little smear of washing up liquid helps a lot.
For the fulcrums, i'm even considering taking a tiny bottle of it on rides.

First time on gators ? wactch it in the wet until they've worn in a bit, slipperier than an eel. Once theyve scrubbed up a bit, they're ok.

Will1985

Über Member
Yesterday I had my first puncture in 4 years on gatorskins - the tyres have lasted that long on a couple of wheels being ridden through all sorts. They see a lot of action over the winter and year round on my fixed roadie.

Tube repair was a doddle with one lever (Campag Zonda wheel)

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

thanks for all thre replies guys greatly appreciated

gbb the wheels are mavic cxp22 if this helps

jackthelad

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've got Gatorskins on my Fulcrums and they go on and off with a small nudge from a tyre lever. It's my first pair but I don't get why they get a bad rep for being hard to mount - maybe I'm just lucky!

gbb

Legendary Member
I've got Gatorskins on my Fulcrums and they go on and off with a small nudge from a tyre lever. It's my first pair but I don't get why they get a bad rep for being hard to mount - maybe I'm just lucky!

Jesus you are one lucky guy then...or i'm extremely unlucky.
My hands are strong, never had issues getting (any) tyres on in the past, must have changed so many over the years, but the Fulcrums...:whistle:
I found getting 90% on as usual no problem. Broke a normal tyre lever getting that last foot on, struggled with the Park Tools lever, pinched a tube on one attempt, it was monumentaly hard. Walked away, had a think, then came up with the 'sliding' it on idea, which was much easier, but still required some strong leverage.

:biggrin: :biggrin: Until i walked away for that think, i was thinking 'i'm going to have to buy some different tyres :angry: '

Still, all's well now.

2old2care

Über Member
Oh dear, I've not long ago put folding gatorskins on my RS30 wheels, sounds like I'm going to have some fun if I get a puncture!

only bought the folder's cos Ribble didn't have the rigid in stock, and the 25's Ihad fouled on my guard's.

I've always struggled putting tyres on so have resorted to metal levers, these don't do your rims any favours, but in an emergency they'll do.

Although I do swear by gatorskins, and since having used Michelins will probably never use anything else. :biggrin:

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

I have marathon plus tyres on my crosser 32c and after usingt regular they stretched nicely that punctures were not a problem by getting tyres on and off at the side of the road,but these gatorskins tried for the first time worry me to how tight they are to get on.I am going to run them at 120 psi to see if it helps with the stretching of the tyres,if no punctures after several weeks use ,then I will remove to see what they are like to remove and put on at the side of the road.

Fighting with tyres at the side of the road for me is a no no,dont mind running tyres that are more puncture protective but not at a cost of hassle trying to get on when you are rushing to work etc

jackthelad

craggman

I find 25c tyres much easier than 23c which i suppose is pretty obvious,but also a bit more comfy on the potholed roads we are all having to endure.im after 25s coloured tyres but seem a bit hard to find.but i am sticking with the 25c much easier to refit out on road when hands are cold.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I run 23 gators and they are a reasonable tyre for resistance , my route is country lanes and a section of glass strewn cycle path and i was getting maybe 1 flat a month.I put a lot of this down to cycling in the dark as even with a very bright light sometimes i could not avoid potholes or really bad sections of glass when i could not see them or could not avoid them due to traffic.
Now its lighter i am hoping that the amount of visits will reduce.

I always end up nudging the last bit over the rim with a tyre lever but it goes on easily otherwise even with a wire bead.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Absoulute bar-steward getting 23mm gators on a new set of Shimano R500 wheels, christ knows what I'll do in the dark with a flat!

Great that people like the tyres tho' :-)

Top Bottom