GB Gerry Burgess?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
As a diversion from my attempts at restoring the "Viscount" , l wonder if anyone has info on the bars fitted to the bike? They are stamped GB ( which l erroneously thought meant Great Britain) and British Made. These marks are right at the end of the right hand drop.
I find it interesting that most of the bars are polished aluminium except for the section below where the break leavers are fitted. Does this mean that the bars were meant to be left without tape apart from the drops. Anyone have info. or opinions ....Mr Biggs perhaps ?

Sharky

Guru
I always thought it referred to Great Britain. On the pair I had, there was an engraved image of the British Isles just next to the stem clamp.

midlife

Guru
Lots of people BITD only taped the drops, usually track and TT. Here's BB

660248717.jpg

Sharky

Guru
May look like a big chainring/big gear on BB's bike, but unlikely to be more than a 56 and coupled with a 13 sprocket would give approx. 113".
Now compared with an off the shelf bike for us leisure cyclists having a 50x11 combo, this would give a 119" gear.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I still have many bikes using GB components, still giving great service. They made some really good kit. Recently its been reappearing on some Pashley bikes - made in China now I think... whether it resurfaces again as a serious brand I dont know.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I still have many bikes using GB components, still giving great service. They made some really good kit. Recently its been reappearing on some Pashley bikes - made in China now I think... whether it resurfaces again as a serious brand I dont know.
Hilary Stone info.The last GB brakes were made in the 1970s – they were really quite low-end products. But GB continued with bars and stems into the early 1990s. And GB has survived – it diversified into tubular furniture in the 1970s and is now one of the largest suppliers of conference furniture !

classic33

Leg End Member
May look like a big chainring/big gear on BB's bike, but unlikely to be more than a 56 and coupled with a 13 sprocket would give approx. 113".
Now compared with an off the shelf bike for us leisure cyclists having a 50x11 combo, this would give a 119" gear.
Up in the mid 60's

Kernowdreamer

GB were still making stems and bars in the 80's. I chose them in preference to the top ones such as Cinelli mainly because they were British, looked just as good and the bars didn't creak which is not unusual for Cinelli. I still use them now and have a couple of shorter, spare stems for the inevitable time when I will want my bars just that bit closer.

midlife

Guru
GB were still making stems and bars in the 80's. I chose them in preference to the top ones such as Cinelli mainly because they were British, looked just as good and the bars didn't creak which is not unusual for Cinelli. I still use them now and have a couple of shorter, spare stems for the inevitable time when I will want my bars just that bit closer.

Their BiBa stems were quite nice :smile:

Top Bottom