General Election & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Do you have a link to the all party parliamentary cycling group, and to these recommendations?

Drago

Legendary Member
Ban the "hardship" mitigation as a reason for courts to allow someone to keep a licence beyond 12 points. Its not easy to accrue 12 points, and if hardship is am problem for them they've had plentymof opportunity to modify their behaviour.

Make lifetime disqualification mandatory for 'death by' offences.

Where a driver kills while doing something illegal, ie, using a mobile phone, the charge should be 2nd degree murder on that basis that the act was deliberate and the outcome was foreseeable.

oldstrath

Über Member
[QUOTE 4798587, member: 9609"]I can't remember where I got the above list from as I wrote to my MP with it a month or more ago, it was pre election so didn't even get a response (waste of space SNP member) But I have found this
https://allpartycycling.org/inquiries/justice/[/QUOTE]
Before the last GE I wrote to all the candidates. The Labour guy replied, slightly persuasively, the rest ignored it. Our MP claims to cycle, opposes presumed liability, and campaigned for A9 dualling

On the other hand, Labour won't win here, and no way am I voting for wee Ruthie's minion.

Drago

Legendary Member
Where there is clear evidence that the act was deliberate, like the silly little girl yesterday who was sentenced to three years in the chokey, a charge of vehicular assault or attempted murder should exist.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4798587, member: 9609"]I can't remember where I got the above list from as I wrote to my MP with it a month or more ago, it was pre election so didn't even get a response (waste of space SNP member) But I have found this
https://allpartycycling.org/inquiries/justice/[/QUOTE]
The scatter gun approach is unlikely to be taken seriously, you have to do some homework before firing off correspondence on transport issues..
As you say you have a SNP MP, you must be resident in Scotland, but transport issues are devolved to Holyrood, in which case many of the issues raised in your OP should have been directed to your MSP, and not your MP.

Reactions: srw

classic33

Leg End Member
All the "local" candidates are anti cyclist, when it comes to road use, with one insisting cyclists are a danger to road users.

Drago

Legendary Member
Solicitor - "my client would suffer undue hardship were he to be banned from driving."

To which more Magistrates should be asking...

"Really? Then why has he chosen to behave in such a manner that has seen him appear before this court four times in the last eighteen months?"

Magistrates and judges appear too ready to gullibly believe such claims without evidence to support them, like guy recently claiming it would ruin his career as a professional cricketer...the career that didn't actually exist.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The scatter gun approach is unlikely to be taken seriously, you have to do some homework before firing off correspondence on transport issues..
As you say you have a SNP MP, you must be resident in Scotland, but transport issues are devolved to Holyrood, in which case many of the issues raised in your OP should have been directed to your MSP, and not your MP.
Yup. A list of 14 apparently random demands will, in most cases, make you look like a green-ink merchant. And candidates at the moment won't even be thinking about correspondence from random constituents unless they're shoo-in certainties or utter no-hopers. In which case they're probably campaigning somewhere where there is a contest.

Far better to raise one topic - cyclists' safety - and focus on one or two top priorities.

classic33

Leg End Member
Top Bottom