general winter clothing thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

is it hard getting the balance right between warmth and overheating , when on challenging rides in very cold weather ?

ok so its not VERY cold yet, but on saturday in cumbria(MTB 50 MILES), i had to stop soon after setting off and take off my waterproof jacket and armwarmers, as i felt like i was overheating and felt a bit feint and groggy for a minute. i have NeVER experienced this. so off came the jacket and armwarmers, and for the rest of the ride i wore just shorts, short sleeve jersey, legwarmers, shortfinger gloves. The armwarmers went back on when it got colder.

I'm prepared for the proper cold, even got a headband and winter gloves.

whats peoples experiences of riding in very cold weather, does the warm stuff stay on or does it get too hot once your in your stride ?

yello

JohnRedcoRn said:
is it hard getting the balance right between warmth and overheating , when on challenging rides in very cold weather ?

In a word, yes.

It's a word you'll get bored of hearing but part of the answer is layers. That, and dressing so that you are a bit cold when you set off.

I opt for base layer (I prefer merino but there are others), a normal cycling shirt (usually short sleeve) and then a jacket/long sleeve jersey according to weather; either the jersey for autumnal wear or a jacket for colder days. Sometimes I do opt for just jacket and base layer... but it can be a lottery and I still get it wrong on occasions, fortunately erring on the 'too warm' side most of the time.

Jackets can be a pain. I'll only wear one IF I know it'll be cold all ride. They're invariably too bulky to remove and stick in your pocket. If I'm unsure, I'll go without and stick my packable windproof in my pocket in case I get too cold.

Arm/leg warmers are brilliant for cold autumnal mornings (like now) when you're going out early and riding later into the day when it'll warm up. For instance, here it's forecast at 6C this morning getting to 20C for the afternoon - leg/arm warmer time!

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

i use a rackpack on long rides for the jacket (too bulky for jersey pockets), or for the regular runs just bungee it to the rack in a plastic bag.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
As a rule of thumb, if you go out and still feel warm before cycling, you'll boil up on the actual ride. I find that if I feel mildly chilly before starting to ride, I've got the layers about right.

Chris James

Über Member
As above really. I have varinats of short sleeved jerseys, long sleeved base layers, knee and arm warmers, gilet, jacket (windproof fronted) and try to come up with some sort of combo from that.

My legs aren't much of a problem. Shorts until just a bit colder than now, then shorts and knee warmers. The tights tend to come out when my feet start to get cold as I tend to introduce the neoprene overshoes at the same time.

I don't really get on well with arm warmers, despite having and using a pair. When it is cold enough for them then it tends to be a bit chilly for my chest. So I can just as soon wear a long sleeved helly Hansen under my s/s jersey.

It has to be very cold for the windproof fronted jacket (Altura Night Vision Windproof) to make an appearance. And normally I wouldn't wear anything under it. If it is baltic (i.e. ice all over the place) then I wear a s/s Helly Hansen under the windproof top.

dodgy

Like others, I try to go out slightly cold in the knowledge I'll warm up (this has never not happened). I have arm warmers and usually have a gillet that will go in my back pocket if it gets too warm.
It's one of the most common mistakes you see in newcomers to the sport, they wear too many clothes (not saying you're a newcomer by the way).

Dave.

I had my winter gloves on today for the first time, not because it was cold because it was extremely wet and the track mitts were covered in oil and I wasn't wearing my good pair for the commute. For general leisure rides I also subscribe to the policy of dressing light in the knowledge I'll soon warm up.

D

Deleted member 1258

While we are on winter clothing any thoughts on winter tights. Not bothered in the past, just used ordinary trousers or tracksuit bottoms. Been looking at tights recently and most I have looked at are for thin people with long legs, and I am short and sturdy. all the ones I have seen the waist size that fits me have two or three inches more leg than I need.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Dave r, I have a pair of unworn bib tights from the last lot of Aldi stuff (last year). They're a medium, apparently, but have (what seems to me) to be a large body and short legs - I can measure them up for you if you're interested, and if you think they might fit, you can have them for the cost of postage.

D

Deleted member 1258

John The Monkey, thanks, if they will fit someone with a 36inch waist and a 29inch inside leg I am interested.

porridge

Think im the only only one who prefers the feeling of being warm at the very start of my commute, I can't stand feeling cold, so prefer to be over dressed and sweat.

Downward

Guru
dave r said:
John The Monkey, thanks, if they will fit someone with a 36inch waist and a 29inch inside leg I am interested.

Just for Info just got back from Aldi - Medium is 32" - 34" in these trousers.

Re Back to the Thread.

This morning 7am about 10 Degrees - Gloves Fingerless but actual hands were cold. Long sleeve shirt and windproof light jacket. Still wearing shorts though.
After a big hill through the Coat comes off halfway up.
Yesterday wore short sleeved T shirt type shirt but it's quite chilly on the arms when your moving without the coat so went long sleeved this morning.

Not sure about tmoz - 6 Degrees it will be.

D

Deleted member 1258

Dave r, I have a pair of unworn bib tights from the last lot of Aldi stuff (last year). They're a medium, apparently, but have (what seems to me) to be a large body and short legs - I can measure them up for you if you're interested, and if you think they might fit, you can have them for the cost of postage.

John The Monkey thanks, I have been into Aldi tonight and the medium is definitely to small. Got a couple of their winter jackets. looked at their bib tights and shoes. was not keen on their shoes, a bit to chunky. The bib tights looked alright, their large is about my size, but they had the nappy in them and ideally i want a pair without.

cadleigh

I have some good Pearl Izumi bib tights without a pad. (I was anti-pads at the time; now I wish I'd bought some with a pad, but that's another story.)

You could try Decathlon's base layer or mid layer running tights under cycling shorts, as well. They're as clingy as cycling tights - and a hell of a lot cheaper (they're even cheaper than their own leg warmers).

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i find that a cycling shirt, bib shorts, a cycling jacket (either my z team or carrera team one) and my endura tights will keep me warm enough without overheating, with varying combinations of hat/gloves etc depending on how cold. if it's really cold it's aldi bib longs instead of the tights, with a ski mask!

Top Bottom