George Clarke council homes C4

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Hicky, 31 Jul 2019.

1. Hicky

Hicky Veteran

My Ms and I are watching the C4 council house program. Immediately we have an impression that the gov and previous governments are full of crap palming off responsibilities to the private sector.
    Having grown up in Wythenshawe and having fond memories of the place and my Ms also from a council estate in Runcorn we appreciate what we have, ironically it’s smaller than either of our childhood homes.
    What could/should the gov do...?

Blue Hills likes this.
  2. Duffy

Duffy Well-Known Member

Stop selling houses off at a fraction of the cost of its replacement, limit the private sector that’s more interested in profits than people and build decent homes.

It’s not rocket science but is beyond the Tories......

Milzy, Starchivore, david k and 5 others like this.
  3. AuroraSaab

AuroraSaab Well-Known Member

Part of the issue is that councils were not allowed to spend the money raised by sales on building more council houses. Successive governments, both Labour and Tory, allowed the housing market to get out of hand - it made us all think we were doing well because our house had doubled in price in a few years.

I am not sure how housing supply can ever meet demand with the population growth we have seen in the last decade. You would have to have an unprecedented scale of new house building and thus serious environmental consequences.

If I were being radical, I would end right to buy, introduce rent controls, stop land banking, and tax buy to let more aggressively. Most attempts to ease the housing crisis are just tinkering.

downesy, Illaveago, theclaud and 3 others like this.
  4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

^^^^^^ +1

5. lane

lane Über Member

Introduce a land tax to stop land banking

6. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

New Labor was appalling on this issue as well.
    This thread theme is somewhat close to my heart.
    May return later.

Milzy likes this.
  7. i hate hills

i hate hills Done done on to the next one..........

Buy a tent and move to Shetland .

8. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

I'd always thought of George Clarke as a bit of a joke if I'm honest, having no idea how passionate he is about social housing. He came across as (justifiably) angry last night at times, which is exactly how it should be - the stats he presented were absolutely shocking.

Milzy, C R and Illaveago like this.
  9. Hitchington

Hitchington Lovely stuff

Need to watch this on catch up...

Illaveago and Hicky like this.
  10. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

Me too.
    More anger will be caused by this excellent cooly presented documentary.

https://www.dispossessionfilm.com/

Milzy and Illaveago like this.
  11. AuroraSaab

AuroraSaab Well-Known Member

You should watch How To Get a Council House. I had to turn that off it was making me so cross.

Milzy and AndyRM like this.
  12. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

I remember that. Brought back some painful memories of when I was trying (and ultimately failing) to get council accommodation.

13. OP
    OP
    Hicky

Hicky Veteran

It’s well worth a watch and quite infuriating, just don’t watch “how to shop well for less” or whatever it is first.
    George Clarke is quite passionate about this, I don’t want to spoilt the plot but I hope what he aims for comes off, I’ll see the fruits first hand.

Illaveago likes this.
  14. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey Nearly 63 - oh dear! Moderator

Definitely.

15. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

I didn't watch it because George. I'll take a look, based in these comments, thanks.

AndyRM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice