German food recommendations?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Arch, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I'm off to Germany in a couple of weeks, to the Spezi show, and I've never been before. Apparently we'll be going to a restaurant one evening, and my knowledge of German food is limited to a rather nice Alsace thin pizza sort of thing I forget the name of, and the stereotypical knockwurst-with-the-fallen-madonna-with-the-big-boobies.

So, any tips on nice stuff to eat? I'll tackle most things, but don't like mushrooms....

2. BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

Pfannkuchen ?

best ever german food has to be pommes mit mayo:biggrin:

3. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

What on earth is the matter with you, don't like mushrooms?????

The only thing I can think of is Black Forest Gateaux but you're probably onto that one already.

Anyway Arch someone normal will be along in a minute with some good advice. Probably.

Have a nice trip BTW. :smile:

4. psmiffy

psmiffy -

No help at all I am afraid - I lived there as a kid for 10 years - and I have recently spent a lot of time cycling there - and have bever come across anything really German that was outstanding - shweine, potatoes, sausages and roast chicken seem to predominate

I have had some really nice schweinsnitzel but unfortuently what made it really good was a pepper and mushroom sauce

Notwithstanding that there are a lot of German foods as opposed to menu items that are good - Breiteling - a sort of lightly battered soused herring - smoked eels - smoked sausages various - cheese soft blues and some that are very smelly but delicately flavoured - lots of good things in the German shops

5. davidg

davidg Well-Known Member

Schweinshaxe is the food of winners...I expect a full report

6. Don't get given the kid's sausage menu - that'll be the brat wurst.

Have a good trip Arch. I don't know the names of any cool German bikes so plenty of photos please.

7. OP
    OP
    Arch

But what's german for Black Forest Gateau? Schwartz something?

Oh, my German is a bit limited BTW. :smile:

8. davidg

davidg Well-Known Member

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (wiki)

you can have it after the pig knuckle I am telling you to have!

9. OP
    OP
    Arch

<google>

mmm, looks good!

I think I can decipher the main points of a menu enough not to get anything I don't like - and I'll have a fluent German speaker to hand in case....

<google again>

Note to self, avoid 'pilz'.

10. Norm

Norm Guest

I can recommend a Weisswurst Frühstück (white sausage breakfast) with half a litre (a litre if you are brave) of weissbier. The perfect way to start the day.

Germany is a country of many parts, though, and I think that Weisswurst / Weissbier are Bavarian, as is Schweinshaxe.

I'm not sure where Spezi is held, but the local stuff will probably be rather good, wherever it is. IIRC, the phrase for "English Menu" is "Englischer Karte", most everywhere will have one if you don't fancy being brave.

I am a big fan of Germany food. And drink.

11. OP
    OP
    Arch

oh good, I think I might have worked that one out if i'd seen it!

I was thinking the other day, that although I'm only fluent in English, and can get by, just, in French, I can decipher the basics of a menu in quite a few languages...

12. Telemark

Telemark Cycling is fun ...

getting your priorities right :smile:

T

13. ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot Secret Lemonade Drinker

Zigeunerschnitzel - breadcrumbed pork chop with gypsy sauce.

14. ComedyPilot

Currywurst

15. ComedyPilot

Rollmop herrings

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice