Getting back from Barcelona

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

patheticshark

Y'ello. I'm planning a trip down to Barcelona at the end of May, and trying to work out the best way to get back to London. I've done lots of googling and everyone seems to recommend the European Bike Express, but I need to get back on a date it's not running. I'd rather not fly, or do too much riding (I'm going to a festival in Barcelona and I'm anticipating being tired!). Looks like it's going to have to be several different trains - any advice on which ones, or alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance
shark.

delport

Don't know if you can dismantle the bike and take it on the TGV, lyon-paris is very quick [2 or 3 hours],then paris-london eurostar.

I've done train travel the slower way north, barcelona-figueras is fairly quick, the border of spain isn't all that much further north,perpignan is a common train stop,i'm sure you could get from perpignan to Lyon.

It might look on paper like a lot of messing around, but that could all be done on the same day if you began early in the morning.

I avoided the TVG one time, and went from the south of france towards lille or paris and it took many hours [more than 12] on Corial, and the slow local trains.
I wished i'd have just got on the lyon train to paris.

I can't remember which if any trains don't change over at the Spanish border.I suppose there must be services like Barcelona- paris.
Check out die Bahn
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
for possible routes, and how long each take.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

thanks for that, very useful. That site didn't like me asking it questions though, it said

Hint
Dear customer
Code: H890

At me.

Bike bagging might be an option; I am slightly nervous of being kicked off though!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A mate of mine, who is a rare visitor to this forum, had a similar problem returning from southern Spain a year or two back. He slipped an LBS a few euros and they boxed his bike and shipped it DHL-stylee back to his home address whilst he train hopped his way home. It got back before he did.

P.H

Über Member
Seat 61 is a good source of information on all things train related;

http://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm#Step 3, bikes on trains beyond Paris and Brussels

I've never traveled on the train in Spain with a bike so have no idea what the rules are. If you can get across the country, the Bilbao to Portsmouth ferry is bike friendly and a good chance to catch up on some kip. You don't say if you're traveling alone, if not the sleeper trains through France carry bikes, but you have to book the entire berth and have the bike in there with you, pedals off, turn the bars and a plastic bag to keep things clean, no big deal, just expensive if you're on your own.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Seat 61 is a good source of information on all things train related;

http://www.seat61.co...-train.htm#Step 3, bikes on trains beyond Paris and Brussels

I've never traveled on the train in Spain with a bike so have no idea what the rules are. If you can get across the country, the Bilbao to Portsmouth ferry is bike friendly and a good chance to catch up on some kip. You don't say if you're traveling alone, if not the sleeper trains through France carry bikes, but you have to book the entire berth and have the bike in there with you, pedals off, turn the bars and a plastic bag to keep things clean, no big deal, just expensive if you're on your own.

Thanks for that. I am travelling on my own, yep. It's a similar problem with the Bilbao ferry.. you have to get a cabin, which makes it £310 return and I'm not sure I can stretch to that. Sounds like it might be worth it though...

andym

Über Member
Well, I was going to suggest trying a sleeper train, but the sleepers between Paris and Barcelona are operated by Elipsos - and, unless they've changed recently, the rules are that you can only take a bike if you book the whole compartment - and even then it has to be in a bag. (NB it's important to stress that this rule only applies to sleeper trains to and from Spain, and within Spain, it does not apply to sleeper trains within France which have bike carriage facilities). [EDIT: actually I should have said to Madrid and Barcelona - there's an SNCF sleeper train to Irún - just over the border from Biarritz and given that it's un by the SNCF it might well have bike carriage facilities so it could be an option if you can get to Irún - but check first).

My advice would be to buy a bike bag - either there, or buy a Ground Effect Tardis and get it sent out to you, and then get a regional train into France and pick up a TGV either to Paris or to Lille Europe. You could get the bag sent to you at a Post Office Lista de Correos - but getting it sent to a hotel is probably more flexible and less chance of something going wrong.

PS the Deutsche Bahn website is usually pretty helpful - but when it comes to Spain it struggles. I got the same error message - but it's usful if you decide to take regional trains through france (not something i'd recommend - if only because it would take so long and you'd probably end up shelling out for an overnight stop - but if you have the time there's no reason why you couldn't plan for a leisurely trip back).

delport

It will still cost you a fair bit of money which ever way you go, unless you book a few tickets in advance.

Eurostar for example on the day is very expensive, but around £60 single in advance.
TGVs aren't too badly priced compared to British train prices.

Spain do have a decent network, including some very fast main line routes, once you get out into the countryside some routes are slower.Basque region for example is mostly slow local trains.
I've done south of france-barcelona-valencia direction-madrid-bilbao-salamanca, and found differing levels of service.
I think their train security is far better than what you see here in the UK, the occasional police man will get on the train with a machine gun.And all bags are x-rayed before you even get on the train up in Zaragoza.I do realise this is because of ETA etc..

There is also an lD lines ferry from Gijon up to the west of france.And you wouldn't need a cabin for that service, but it does take 12 hours.I only mention that as ld lines are decent for fares.

andym

Über Member
It will still cost you a fair bit of money which ever way you go, unless you book a few tickets in advance.

Eurostar for example on the day is very expensive, but around £60 single in advance.
TGVs aren't too badly priced compared to British train prices.

Spain do have a decent network, including some very fast main line routes, once you get out into the countryside some routes are slower.Basque region for example is mostly slow local trains.
I've done south of france-barcelona-valencia direction-madrid-bilbao-salamanca, and found differing levels of service.
I think their train security is far better than what you see here in the UK, the occasional police man will get on the train with a machine gun.And all bags are x-rayed before you even get on the train up in Zaragoza.I do realise this is because of ETA etc..

There is also an lD lines ferry from Gijon up to the west of france.And you wouldn't need a cabin for that service, but it does take 12 hours.I only mention that as ld lines are decent for fares.

The same basic rules apply to TGV tickets as to British train tickets - buy a ticket in advance for a fixed train and they are reasonably cheap but buy a flexible ticket at the last minute and prices are steep.

I'm not sure I find the idea of a policeman using a machine gun in a train especially reassuring.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Good grief. Complicated, isn't it... I had a look at the IDLines site but it looks like the ferries are fully booked on the days I need to travel. Even the Bilbao ferry is going to be tricky as I can get as far as Zaragoza on the trains with a bike but get a bit stumped after that.

Might have to look into taking more time off work and riding back up into France.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I know you may not want to fly but at the end of May you can get a flight with Easyjet for 70 Euros including bike and baggage.

Using a soft bag either sent to you or bought (and sold off on here on your return maybe) will be a cheapish and hassle free option.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Right. Rest of that week booked off. It may kill me. Now I just have to decide whether to ride back to Bilbao, or up to Toulouse, or something else...

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

By the way, any advice on route welcomed! Right now, thinking of riding from Toulouse to Barcelona and then back from Barcelona to Bilbao and getting the ferry. But a cheaper option would be riding from Barcelona to Bordeaux and getting the train. Too many options...

Brains

Legendary Member
When you say 'rather not fly' does that mean 'with the bike' or just rather not fly at all ?

I'd suggest flying back and send the bike as freight.
or
Training back using the TGV's and sending the bike as freight

TGV is the way to travel, but they will not permit bikes unless you can get it into a normal sized suitcase.
If you have a decent touring bike and you intend on doing regular 'bike in normal suitcase' travel then it's worh looking at getting S&S couplings fitted to the frame.

Top Bottom