Getting Dirty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merlinmagic

My Sirrus went in for it's first free service today. All is well and its finished.

As I was talking to the bloke he said "Out of curiosity where are you storing the bike" - In a garage and in the bike locker at work - "Where are you riding it" - Just on the road the 4 miles to and from work.

He then went on to tell me how dirty the bike was and how I should really be keeping it a bit cleaner. He wasn't horrible just matter of fact.

So I am officially a dirty cycler. :biggrin::blush:

There are a million and one reasons I haven't cleaned it most of them because I have no idea what I am doing and don't want to stuff it up.

Didn't have the heart to tell the bloke I hadn't cleaned it since I bought it 2 months ago. I really am bad aren't I?

To make me feel better are there any other dirty cyclists around or am I the only one?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
MerlinM, This time of year the salt that the councils put on the road will eat your chain, chainrings and rear cassette and will erode up the gear cables. You should aim to wash the muck off most days.

cchapman

You're not the only one. I don't think I've cleaned mine for five (5) years, except the chain of course. It's not a thing I'd recommend. The reason people like truck drivers clean their rigs after each trip is because it ensures they go over things and spot oil leaks, frayed wires, missing nuts immediately rather than be surprised hundreds of miles from nowhere.

OP
OP
merlinmagic

merlinmagic

I think the problem is that my greatest fear is stuffing up the bike so it's unrideable. I know it might not sound very logical to a seasoned biker but at the moment as i am a noob it all looks a bit complicated.

Going to have a go though and persevere. After all the first time I took a computer apart I was nervous. First time I took a laptop apart same thing. But just took my time and now it doesn't bother me.

Same thing with the bike really.

Any suggestions though, pointers or links to websites etc would be really helpful. Going to have a trawl through the bike maintenance area on here and see what I can find.

On my working bikes I regularly clean the transmission and very occasionally the rims but see no point cleaning anything else. The Colnago will get a proper strip-down and rebuild in the spring when the mudgourds come off. My posh bikes get cleaned to within an inch of their lives.

Slim

Über Member
Have a look at bicycletutor.com to start with. Also, the Park Tools site is pretty good.

As with everything else, do the simple stuff first and build up your confidence.

HTH

Funtboy

I'm dirty as well. I am 'working from home' today with the specific intention of cleaning up the steed (This I know how to do) but also to tune up my front derailleur (Not sure - am very worried). Wish me luck!

Funtboy said:
I'm dirty as well. I am 'working from home' today with the specific intention of cleaning up the steed (This I know how to do) but also to tune up my front derailleur (Not sure - am very worried). Wish me luck!

Unless it has sustained damage and if it was at one time correctly adjusted the only thing you'll need to adjust is the cable tension.

Don't move it by loosening the clamp, don't adjust the limit screws and if you have a barrel adjuster in the cable run there should be no need to release the cable pinch bolt. The likely cause of its maladjustment is cable stretch, zarking with anything else will introduce too many variables and you'll be there all day.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Dirty bikes really boil my piss.

They are mechanically inefficient.
Components wear out quicker.
It does not project the best image for cycling.
It just ain't natural.

Funtboy

mickle said:
Unless it has sustained damage and if it was at one time correctly adjusted the only thing you'll need to adjust is the cable tension.

Don't move it by loosening the clamp, don't adjust the limit screws and if you have a barrel adjuster in the cable run there should be no need to release the cable pinch bolt. The likely cause of its maladjustment is cable stretch, zarking with anything else will introduce too many variables and you'll be there all day.

I didn't want to hear that. Was hoping one of those net videos would show me the way.

U

User482

People who spend lots of time cleaning their bikes are strange freaks.

That is all.

Funtboy

mickle said:
What's up wi'it?

It struggles to shift up to the big front cog and when I do manage it, it will inveitably slip off onto the middle cog, normally when I'm at full pelt. Also, on the middle cog, it rubs against outside edge of the cage when I'm in higher gears. Very frustrating.

Top Bottom