Getting into racing and training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neilcules

Hey all, a newbie asking probably well worn questions, but hey, I'll ask them anyway!...

Just getting myself a new road bike and interesting in getting into a little racing. I'm fit - a rower looking for something that might give my back a rest ;) What are the standard distances, categories and standards for road racing? Are there many competitions that cater for those starting out? How do I find out about them?

Also, are there any training plans lying about, I'm well versed in my sport by guess there'll be some differences in the approach.

If you could point to anything that makes the 'Nat C, C+, Cat D, A' and whatever make a little more sense that'd be great!

Ta!
Neil.

The best thing to do is get a bike and join a cycling club near you.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yes, join a club if you haven't already.

You should be able to find most of the information you'll want here: British Cycling

The first events I entered were time trials. You can usually just turn up and enter a club event without being a member (you'll be expected to join if you want to do it again). You might get into it, you might not, but it is one way to make contact with a local club, an opportunity to ask a few questions and find out what other events are coming up etc.

Dave5N

Über Member
Join a club. You really want to do a few runs with a club to get some bunch riding skills before you do any road or track racing. You won't have any problems in time trials, but massed start racing when the elbows come out is a different proposition.

Where are you?

RedBike

Have a read at this:
http://www.ribblevalleycrc.com/pg87ba4.html

Sadly I think it's slightly misleading.
Cat 4 is the beginners level. (The lower the number the quicker the race.)

Although a Cat4 race maybe 20/25mph average you'll be seriously lucky to find a race that is cat 4 only (I've never ridden one). Most races are Cat 3/4 or Cat 2,3,4.

Is you enter a race thats got cat 2 riders in it then you can forget all about that 25mph average. You'll find the pace will change dramatically. The pace will probably feel almost sedate for a few laps when nobody wants to be on the front. But then someone will put the hammer down. (More than likely up a hill). The race will suddenly rapidly speed up.

When the speed increases most beginners will do well not to fly straight out of the back of the peleton. If you loose the peleton your race is over. You'll never catch the peleton again.

Join a club. Go out on their training rides / pace lines. (These are probably not the same as club runs). Try out time trialling so you can see how you compare to other riders then enter a race.

Dave5N

Über Member
Plenty of Cat2/3/4 races. You should find a few Regional C+ races that are Cat 4 only. Also, some promoters will add in a shorter 'Go Race'. You'll not get licence points but it's a good place to start.

TurboTurkey

Just curious as to why you think cycling will give your back a rest and why you need to give it a rest? If you visit some of the other cycling forums, you will find that back complaints are quite common amongst racing cyclists.
With this in mind, maybe you should get used to riding a bike for a while and definitely with a club, because then you will get the advice you will need to assure that you are sitting properly on the bike. The correct seat height, bar height and shoe alignment are essential to avoid making your back worse rather than better.
Good luck.

Top Bottom