getting paid

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by clid61, 17 Apr 2019 at 15:44.

1. clid61

clid61 Über Member

So pissed off with people on benefits saying they don't get paid till such and such .they're not working and being granted handouts to help them feed clothe and house themselves , no more no less but expect the luxuries we working people struggle to afford

2. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

And breath

Starchivore likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    clid61

clid61 Über Member

I'm trying ...

fossyant likes this.
  4. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Try to sweat the things you can do things about & ignore those you can't, it's sage advice, I wish I too could follow it

dave r and lane like this.
  5. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

My daughter is on benefits, but she would never say that. In fact she is unable to talk more than an odd word.

6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

They want to "feed clothe and house themselves". Luxuries I tell thee, luxury.

downesy, Starchivore, Poacher and 6 others like this.
  7. si_c

si_c Veteran

Yeah, it might be better to call it subsistence rather than benefits, the latter does imply some level of luxury.

8. Come and work where I do, and get to know some of them, you'll find it easier to understand then.

downesy, Poacher, C R and 6 others like this.
  9. Edwardoka

Edwardoka Facetious Remark Generator, Waffler

I could reply to this thread with my actual thoughts but I'd get permabanned for using unseemly language. Instead here's a useful link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy

downesy, Diogenes, Poacher and 14 others like this.
  10. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

So the consensus is that everyone who is on benefits is due them, nobody is claiming for something they are not entitled to & they fully deserve every penny they get?

Moodyman likes this.
  11. Surly Bruce

Surly Bruce Well-Known Member

I have paid into the system all my life. My brother in law is on benefits. He has learning difficulties. I’m really happy to live in a society which supports its vulnerable.

downesy, PaulB, Nigeyy and 31 others like this.
  12. Surly Bruce

No. I don’t agree. So it’s not the consensus.

C R, Sharky, Edwardoka and 2 others like this.
  13. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

That would be an interesting* take on what's been posted so far in the thread.

*Completely and utterly ridiculous.

downesy, Starchivore, C R and 5 others like this.
  14. Surly Bruce

Time to post this:

Alternatively one could read up about Rawls’ theory of justice - in particular the veil of ignorance.

Starchivore and raleighnut like this.
  15. That's a sentiment that you'd never hear amongst professionals.

Punishing people for being unemployed, or because they are struggling, or have psychological or mental difficulties isn't a good idea either, yet it seems to be the way most such systems work.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:14
    downesy, Poacher, JhnBssll and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice