Gianfranco Zola

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

West Ham have now announced him as their new manager.

The thing I would ask is if you had a company and there was someone who was extremely talented in one particular part of the business would you give him a job running the whole company. As much as I liked him as a player and as much as I have no opinion of West Ham as a club I find decisions like this astonishing. He has no managerial experience.

I know everyone needs to start somewhere but a Premier league side seems astonishing.

I'm a Celtic fan and we took on John Barnes and a bigger disaster as a manager you have never seen.

Good player doesn't mean good manager. In fact it's almost the opposite. Average players seem to make the best managers

Jock Stein
Alex Ferguson
Arsene Wenger
George Graham
Fabio Cappello
Jose Mourinho (He didn't even play football professionally)
Bobby Robson
Matt Busby
Bob Paisley
Bill Shankley

the list can go on and on

Couple of great players who became good managers are few and far between

Kenny Dalgliesh and Brian Clough spring to mind

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Missed a trick? Matt Elliot never came across as the sharpest tool in the box....

I was rooting for Di Canio, would have been a laugh. West Ham needs passion, skill comes later!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As a West Ham fan I have to wonder about the appointment myself. He will initially have the respect of the players because he was a fantastic talent himself but whether he has the authority to retain it when things go wrong is unproven. The trouble is that no experienced manager with any ambition will go to a club who make a habit selling off anyone who is any good, like four of England's players last night.

yello

Heskey is Zola's brother?! Well, you live and learn!

Now you mention it, I can see the family resemblance.

jpembroke

I used to live next door to Matt Elliot (if you mean the bloke who played for Oxford, Leicester, and even Scotland)

Anyway, nice guy. Went to the pub with him a few times.

Tynan

Veteran
he's come from comanagering the Italian u21s and he's done his badges

and west ham have a director of football

and who his No2 will be will be important, Clark from cfc is likely apparently

Hughes is doing rather well after being a top class player

Southgate is doing well after being a top class player

wait and see yeah

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Tynan said:
he's come from comanagering the Italian u21s and he's done his badges

and west ham have a director of football

and who his No2 will be will be important, Clark from cfc is likely apparently

Hughes is doing rather well after being a top class player

Southgate is doing well after being a top class player

wait and see yeah

Hughes yes i'll take that one but Southgate. You're having a laugh. He was not a top class player. Decent, dependable at times but won 2 league cups and 50 odd caps. Hardly top class!

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Smokin Joe said:
At least we didn't get some deadbeat like Big Sam or Souness.

Couldn't agree with you more. Two bigger ar$ehole managers you could never meet. Both bung merchants and murder at their jobs. Souness as a player was brilliant but as a manager and a human being he's a knob of the highest order.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
User1314 said:
I was trying to be, erm, ironically witty in a dry way.
LOL - fair enough! Used to watch Oxford as a kid, always hated Matt Elliot, can't even remember why though!

Never liked Zola either, obviously a great player, but didn't seem to have much character, and he's ugly as fuc....

Top Bottom