Giant Compact - whats it worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

I've been offered a Giant Compact, and im just wondering whether its worth the asking price.

Its approx 10 years old, near mint condition (not many miles).

Yellow frame, team colours? Full aluminium (inc forks). Matching yellow tyres. Good quality wheels - he described them as 'V' shaped for aerodynamics.

It was the top of the range at the time (middle range). Campag brakes etc.

Apparently about £1200 new - been offered it for £350.

What do you guys think??

mr Mag00

rising member
isnt Giant Compact an oxymoron?

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

mr Mag00 said:
isnt Giant Compact an oxymoron?

The crossbar is sloped, thus making the overall frame an easier ride, the bars are higher than an average racer.

So no, dont think its an oxymoron. :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

RedBike said:
At a guess its an old OCR.
OCR's are a nice enough bikes, but probably not worth £350.

Not sure, i've emailed him.

What I do know is its a Team ONCE model, with all the fancy bits

RedBike

Although the bike might well have cost £1200 ten years ago a simular sort of model isn't going to cost you anything like that today. Giants SCR bike, probably the closest modern day equivalent, is about £350-£600 new depending on the model.

Without knowing exactly what bike it is / what parts are on it, it's impossible to value. But I don't think I would pay much more than £150 for a 10year old aluminium bike unless it was something special.

wyno70

2 year old Giant TCR C3 will be going up for sale on ebay on Saturday (no reserve). If your interested I'll post the link!!!

It's a medium size frame, I'm 5ft 9 and it's the right size for me.

RedBike

Somethings not quite right here.

The Team once are Giants top end models.
You would expect a near mint low milegage example to have mostly original parts. Therefore I would expected this bike to have a top end groupset, carbon forks and seatpost. Perhaps it doesn't have these parts because it pre-dates them. You'll need to check this out very carefully!

oxbob

RedBike said:

You would expect a near mint low milegage example to have mostly original parts. Therefore I would expected this bike to have a top end groupset, carbon forks and seatpost. Perhaps it doesn't have these parts because it pre-dates them. You'll need to check this out very carefully!
See op Redbike, i was confused too.He says yellow frame and looks like the once in he ebay link, IMO i think you would be better off trying to get giant scr3 2008, should be able to pick these up at £400 region. The Defy replaced the scr range this yr

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

RedBike said:

As said above, it is the top end model, of the middle range, and therefore it has the Campag brakes, higher quality saddle etc. Only thing it doesnt have is the carbon forks/seatpost. I am guessing these were optional extras... my mate who is selling it did say that, at the time, the carbon post was an option.

The bike is totally standard though, for sure.

I don't know about the groupset make.

I'm just thinking - if the one on eBay is at £460... I should get my money back (£350) in the future should I want to sell it on.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I suspect the OP is being offered the Giant OCR ONCE Team Edition. Dates to c.2000, and is fitted with a mostly Campagnolo Mirage gruppo. Definitely wasn't priced as high as £1200.

Top Bottom