Giant Escape 1 vs Dawes Karakum Trekking/Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pathh

Insurers have offered me a 2010 Giant Escape 1 to replace my 2004 (just fully rebuilt) Dawes Karakum. I liked latter very much (didn't care about the butterfly bars). Mostly for on-road, a few bridle paths, sometimes overnight camping. Would I be happy? Many thanks.

Pathh. I put butterfly bars on my 2004 Kara-Kum a couple of years ago, I still have mixed feelings about them and am thinking of changing back to straights next year. I like the Kara Kum, it has sort of grown on me, it does what I want and hasnt been a lot of bother, though neither it or I liked some of the rougher sections of the C2C and the Leeds - Liverpool canal but it is now badly in need of a new saddle and maybe it is time to change the gearing as both of us get older, this will be done as I would hate to part with it or loose it.

Skyfoil

The Jolly Ginger Giant
I've just bought the Giant Escape 1, about three weeks ago.

I can confirm that there are mudguard eyelets on it, as I've fitted full length ones to my own aswell as a rear pannier rack.

I'm extremely happy with it. I commute to work every day, about 7 miles each way, and it's very comfortable. I have the large frame and it's surprisingly light. The longest trip I've done on it so far was a relaxed 50 miles last weekend, which was very enjoyable. I'm considering some much longer challenges on it now.

I would certainly recommend it.

Poggs

I too have a Giant Escape 1 as a 'first grown-up bike'. The default tyres weren't robust enough for my commute, and they really need changing for something like Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They only come in blue though :sad:

On the plus side, very light yet sturdy and I feel entirely comfortable riding eight miles a day on it.

Top Bottom