Giant SCR 3 Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charlie999

I've just purchased myself a brand new Giant SCR 3. The gears on the bike are Shimano. Ignore me for my ignorance but they are the ones where you move the brake lever to change one way and press a small thumb lever to change the other. My querey is that the right hand lever that changes the rear set works oposite to the left hand lever.

To change UP gears on the right hand lever you press the small thumb button and to change DOWN you move the brake lever. The other side works the opposite way.

Is this normal cause its confusing me at the moment?

Charlie

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Hopefully, cause thats what mine does :rolleyes:

It is logical if you think about it, or rather, don't think about it. Either way you'll get used to it. :ohmy:

Enjoy your new bike :rolleyes:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Sweep right brake lever over moves the gears at the back from drop-out to wheel, tab to move from wheel to drop-out.
Sweep left brake lever over to go from smallest ring to big ring. Tab to go from big to small.
Its all very simple really you see;)

OP
OP
C

charlie999

Thanks for the replies it just seemed strange that they did the opposite.

Anyway off out now for the first ride on it. I'm sure that it will become second natutre after a couple of trips.

Regards Charlie

OP
OP
C

charlie999

Did 10 miles first time out which is good for me so very pleased. The gears were as you all said simple to understand and after a few miles second nature.

My only problem now is a sore bum!!!!!!

Charlie

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Your bum never gets better, you just ride further.

paul

I to have a Giant Scr 3 as my road bike. I have found in teaching others to cycle over the years, that the following method is a useful one to remember how to use the gears.

Think of each of the gear levers as a pair on each handle bar. There are then two levers, one on the right and one on the left of each pair.(Obviously different lengths)

The right one use as you go up hill eg ' go right to the top of the hill.'
The left one as the hill eases out, eg 'You've left the hill behind'.

Children when using a geared bike for the first time remember this easily.
Once met a cyclist in the New Forest, several years ago, unable to master the gears on their bike, couldn't remember which was which to change, having struggled for years, explained the method as above, met again two hours later, problem solved!!!!

Top Bottom