Giant spiders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
*shudder* Last night the BIGGEST spider I have ever seen was lurking on my fireplace. It was big, black, hairy and had the usual unnecessary amount of legs. Mr M removed it using the glass-and-card technique and it's legs were TOO BIG to fit in a PINT GLASS :angry:. I reckon the body was 1.5 inches long and the legs about 4 inches end to end. Also when he got the beast into the glass it tried to go for him and we could hear the legs scrabbling on the glass. It was seriously huge and nasty-looking, and in no way looked 'more scared of me than I was of it'. I wonder should I have reported it to someone (not sure who....council pest control? London Zoo????)? Has anyone else seen one like this? Do we have spiders this big native to the UK? I know it's the spidery time of year, but this one was HUGE.

red_tom

I think the biggest spider in the UK is the cardinal. It's body goes up to around 2cm long.

wafflycat

One of these?

tarantula2.jpg

Keith Oates

Janner
When I was working in Paris I had an apartment that was at the top of the building in what could be termed the attic. I had no bed as I used to sleep on the floor (from Choice) in those days. One cold winter morning I woke up and threw back the bed clothes and this huge black spider ran out and across the room. It must have slept with me to keep warm but since then I've not been so afraid of them although they are still not my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

Hmmmnnn no it wasn't like Wafflycat's or Red tom's.....more like an extra large harvest spider.......not sure how big they can get though...a lot of spider websites only measure the body of the spider, which I would say isn't the main thing you are looking at as it scuttles towards you on EIGHT HUGE LEGS....

I've seen those with a tiny body and stupidly long spindly legs though....can't say I like those much either!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
wafflycat said:
I don't mind spiders. Spiders eat the stuff you don't want around.

Hmmmm, recently had a batch of black widows found in a container from Australia being unloaded in Felixstowe. It won't be long until we have something distinctly unpleasant making itself a resident of the UK and I am not talking about Abul Hamza

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Hmmmm, recently had a batch of black widows found in a container from Australia being unloaded in Felixstowe. It won't be long until we have something distinctly unpleasant making itself a resident of the UK and I am not talking about Abul Hamza

:angry: Don't tell me things like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom