Girl cycling to school this morning killed, Abingdon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Very sad news, 500 yards from where I sit now :smile:

Traffic was very bad today because the town centre is closed due to the Annual Fair running through the whole of the town.

I feel sick in my stomach, Abingdon is a small town, the grief won't be far away from anybody.

There are a lot of good cyclefacilities here and cycle-usage for the school run is high. I'm thinking that we need some kind of "Cycle-craft" training of kids and adults alike. It might have helped.

http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hsabingdonnews/3730971.Update__Schoolgirl_killed_in_crash/

ChrisKH

Guru
Terrible. But whether training would have been of any use depends on the circumstances of the "collision", no?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ChrisKH said:
Terrible. But whether training would have been of any use depends on the circumstances of the "collision", no?

True, I guess it's a personal observation based on watching these kids ride to school every morning. May have made no difference in this case. Just thinking hopw on a local level we could improve local cyclists lot.

ChrisKH

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
True, I guess it's a personal observation based on watching these kids ride to school every morning. May have made no difference in this case. Just thinking hopw on a local level we could improve local cyclists lot.

Agree totally, and I'm probably doing the coach driver a disservice. Let's wait and see if there is any more information released that will give some clues as to why.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Jane Warne, press officer for Abingdon School, said: "All we can confirm is that our boys were on the coach and they are well."

Well that's OK then? :rofl:
Regardless of the circumstances, she might have paid some attention to the loss of life.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fab Foodie said:
Very sad news, 500 yards from where I sit now xx(

Traffic was very bad today because the town centre is closed due to the Annual Fair running through the whole of the town.

I feel sick in my stomach, Abingdon is a small town, the grief won't be far away from anybody.
That's really awful :smile:.

Fab Foodie said:
There are a lot of good cyclefacilities here and cycle-usage for the school run is high. I'm thinking that we need some kind of "Cycle-craft" training of kids and adults alike. It might have helped.
I went out on a little ride last week and was proceeding down a quiet residential dead-end road in Mytholmroyd, near my home, when I spotted a couple of young children riding towards me. They were both wearing fluorescent jackets. When I got to the other end of the road, I saw that a cycle-training scheme was in operation. There were 4 or 5 adults supervising about 20 children. It looked pretty well organised. There were warning signs positioned on all the approach roads and adults watching the junctions.

I remember having the same sort of training in Coventry back in the 1960s as preparation for my Cycling Proficiency Test. My parents made me taking that a condition for buying me a bike. I think that it is a very good idea, because you see some kids who obviously don't have a clue what dangers they face. (I'm not suggesting that the girl who died in this case was to blame - we don't know what actually happened yet.)

I walked down to the local Spar one Christmas lunchtime and I saw a child aged about 10 on a new-looking mountain bike shoot out of a side road without looking. He was probably out for his first ride on his Christmas present. It could have so easily been his last... There wasn't a parent in sight. It really shook me that somebody would let a naive kid like that loose on a bike.

Despite all of this, we have to remember that cyclists live longer than non-cyclists on average. I'm beginning to notice the number of threads about fatal cycling accidents (incidents?) and wonder whether dwelling on them is a good thing? Each one is a tragedy, but we don't want to put people off cycling.

More training for novice cyclists would be good. Motorists should also be better-trained. So many people now have never ridden bikes before they learn to drive. I don't believe that many cyclist-drivers would overtake cyclists so close that they hit them with a door mirror, but I've heard of it happening so many times. I've had my own fair-share of near-misses. How about making every would-be learner driver pass a Cycling Proficiency Test before (s)he is allowed to have their first driving lesson? I'm sure that it would make them more cautious when they became drivers.

gavintc

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
that is a very good idea.

A long time ago, I was taught to ride a motor bike on a one week residential course. The first morning was spent on a cycle as the instructor believed that learning road discipline and positioning on a cycle was more important at this stage than learning how to handle power. Of course, the level of traffic in 1977 was far far less.

Top Bottom