Giro d'Italia *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Somehow it's already Grand Tours time. IMHO the Giro has become the toughest and most interesting of the GTs, and it doesn't look like letting up this year. So who are your tips for the top: GC contenders, teams, sprinters, dark horses, whatever..?

BJH

Über Member
Have we reached the point when teams are so much man marking each other that outsiders will have more of a chance?

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Have we reached the point when teams are so much man marking each other that outsiders will have more of a chance?

That, the radio ban, and the biological passport, I think means we have had the potential for more unpredictable races so far this season. But I don't actually know whether the UCI has banned radios for all GT stages yet - are they running some with and some without this year?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
GTs still have radios I brlieve.

Dirty Bertie will be up there no doubt but can he win clea? Surely he wouldn't risk anything dodgy while he's under suspicion?

Nibali would be my pick although Menchov seems to suddenly get fit for the GTs.:rolleyes:

Scarponi rates his chances too so he must be preparing well too.

montage

God Almighty
I wonder what the outcome will be if contador smashes the competition in this giro, as I strongly suspect he will be riding it clean.

I reckon Contador will take the win, though Nibali has been improving very nicely each year, and coming 3rd last year as a last minute stand in, then going on to win to the vuelta has to be something.

Steve H

Large Member
My head says Contador, but can't bring myself to support him for some reason.

Both Nibali and Scarponi will be getting my support as most likely best competition.

Also will be shouting for Cav on all the flatter stages.

Keith Oates

Janner
I also hope Cav manages to get some of the sprint finishes but for the overall win I'm not so sure. Perhaps Basso could be in the running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I also hope Cav manages to get some of the sprint finishes but for the overall win I'm not so sure. Perhaps Basso could be in the running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basso is keeping himself for the TdF, Keith.

Keith Oates

Janner
Thanks Rich, just shows I'm not paying so much attention to the race scene at the moment so I must work on this. However I will suggest Nibali for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
With the team sheets all published, it's time for Mystic Monkey's Either Blindingly Obvious or Completely Useless Predictions:

1. BMC will crash and burn - they haven't got a team for this tour worth a damn since Mantova

2. Katusha on the other hand will be much better than expected. De Luca, Rodriguez, and above all Pavel Brut on excellent recent form.

2. Menchov and Sastre will not be able to work together for Geox

3. Mark Cavendish will be back with a vengence for HTC, and Renshaw too. Don't forget about the suspiciously good in the mountains, Pinotti. Guarranteed for a stage.

4. Lampre don't really have the strength in the moutains to support Scaponi, who will have to hang around Nibali as usual. Petacchi and Hondo will suffer against Cav and Renshaw.

5. Garmin and Quickstep both have sprinters' teams (and half an eye on TT for the former), but really, I can't see them troubling HTC that much.

6. Leopard Trek and Sky have B Teams, and aren't really going for this, it seems. L-T have no Schlecks or Cancellara. For Sky, Lovkvist is no real GC contender, nor is Downing a GT sprint contender. Feillu and Cioni both might do better than expected for L-T and Sky respectively though.

7. The big battle will be between Saxo-Bank, Astana, and Liquigas. Astana are one of those ugly teams full of hard men, who might just pull off the team classification. It will be Contador vs. Nibali for the GC. And it all depends on how much Contador is saving himself for the Tour.

8. Dark horses: can't seen anyone I really fancy to pull a surprise, but I'd like Adam Blythe (Omega Pharma-Lotto) to.

9. Best name: Cayetano José Sarmiento Tunarrosa (Aqua e Sapone)

Top Bottom