Give way to Pedestrians when turning into a road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it just me or is that a really poor photo to use as an illustration ? To me it looks like the pedestrian has walked out in front of a car that was indicating to turn left. Within their rights of course but a bit of a gamble.
Well, the indicating (and the turned wheels) are probably to convey that it's waiting to turn in, not that it was already indicating or turning, but isn't that a bit of the point of the OP? It shouldn't be a gamble. The rule is "give way to pedestrians when turning into a road" - not "might makes right" - and pedestrians are told "If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way" (rule 8).

Drago

Legendary Member
The turned wheels are an accident waiting to happen. A vehicle punts the Honda driver up the bottom and it'll roll over that pedestrian.

Of course, the pedestrian needs to remember that the real world doesn't always work like it should and ought to be scanning left and right, not staring dead ahead. Being righteous won t make a broken pelvis hurt any less when someone runs her over...such as when the at Honda gets punted up the rear.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I saw a cyclist nearly run into a pedestrian today, when the cyclist was turning into a minor road, which the pedestrian was already crossing. . View attachment 432579 .

Highway code. Road junctions (170 to 183)
Rule 170:

Take extra care at junctions. You should
. watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

In which fictional world do mororists wait for pedestrians unless forced?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It would be nice if ANY car drivers followed this rule. I walk a lot and it is completely ignored.

PK99

Legendary Member
Is it just me or is that a really poor photo to use as an illustration ? To me it looks like the pedestrian has walked out in front of a car that was indicating to turn left. Within their rights of course but a bit of a gamble.

I almost posted to the same effect earlier and have long thought that a particularly poor illustration

HWC 7
C Look all around for traffic and listen. Traffic could come from any direction. Listen as well, because you can sometimes hear traffic before you see it.

D If traffic is coming, let it pass. Look all around again and listen. Do not cross until there is a safe gap in the traffic and you are certain that there is plenty of time. Remember, even if traffic is a long way off, it may be approaching very quickly.

HWC 8
Rule 8

At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way (see Rule 170).

By those it reads that the ped should have let the car pass.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends where the car was when the ped stepped off the kerb. If it were 50 metres away and not indicating - a fairly common scenario - then there is no reason to wait.

PK99

Legendary Member
Depends where the car was when the ped stepped off the kerb. If it were 50 metres away and not indicating - a fairly common scenario - then there is no reason to wait.

Given location and likely speeds, that looks unlikely.

Top Bottom