Giving blood and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
In my experience, no problem at all.
Although probably a good idea to take it reasonably easy, i.e. don't go for a PB.

Pottsy

Just make sure you hydrate well and eat well afterwards. It's never stopped me doing anything the day after or even after a few hours. Take it easy though, don't go for a record time.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I usually cycle into town to give blood then cycle home after. I never seem to get any ill effect. I know some people get a bit light headed for an hour or two after but the following day you will be fine.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I doubt I would but then giving blood (even the sample I gave today) makes me feel light headed. Do you need to cycle immediately after or is it a lunchtime donation?

I donated my 56th pint a couple of weeks ago, went back to work, got changed and, rode home. Just took my time and didn't over do it :smile:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used to donate near work and then ride home after, taking it easy. Now I tend to book an appointment near home and walk- I always ride in next day though and steady commuting feels no different for me after giving.

It doesn't do my time-trial times any good though, I reckon it takes me three weeks to get back to normal.

So the three things to worry about are the drop in blood volume - but your body will replace that quickly if you continue to hydrate, the loss of red blood cells - which take a few weeks to replace (It's sort of the opposite of blood doping), and bleeding from the needle site.

So try to avoid dumbbell curls with the bike, and don't try to measure your V02 max in the week following.

No harm in hydrating well before the donation, I personally can't manage a full donation unless I have plenty to drink before hand. It just sort of dries up ... it's very embarrassing.

They encourage you to drink water at the sessions as well now. They have water and juice and keep on asking if you've drank enough. You have to have eaten properly too, the refused Mrs S last time because she'd had no dinner.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Always ride home immediately after giving. Never had any problems before. Except:

Had problems last time when donating (started bleeding again) and then rode a hill up to the card shop flat-out, and felt a bit light-headed and queasy in the evening. I guess I won't be doing that again!

Top Bottom