Glass nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

In trouble

I had a really good ride into work at 5am this morning. Roads are quiet, (I think 3 cars passed me during the whole 10 mile commute) no headwind, and there was a crisp freshness in the air.......right until i didn't see the smashed bus stop, and rode over the mountain of glass. Bugger.:bravo:

To be fair, I managed to get to work, and home again, :bicycle:and have now spent 2 hours picking glass out of my tyres. I think I have got it all, and to be honest, i think the tyre has really held up well, as some of the shards were a good size, and still failed to give me a puncture.

Is it worth now buying two new tyres, or just see how i go with these for a while. (There was alot of glass that had to be picked out) - the tyres are Specailized Mondo tyres which i believe are listed as punture resistant.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stay with them unless it's been compromised by big shards.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Tricky, depends on how many cuts are in them and how big they are. Tyres do get small cuts from glass and flints etc, mine certainly have a few. I check from time to time and if a stone or a bit of glass has worked it's way in I'll pick it out. I generally only replace mine if they look terrible, are obviously worn, or start picking up regular punctures after a long period of reliability (which does mean I probably replace the odd tyre as a result of bad luck rather than wear- but who wants an unlucky tyre).

J4CKO

Who are the retards that smash bus stops and more to the point, why do they just keep replacing them with more glass, there should be a bit of a impression left from an area and if it has metal bus stops and fully covered bridges over roads then its obvious the residents are too stupid to be trusted with glass bus stops and open bridges.

Glass over the roads.
I find this common on my early morning Saturday,Sunday and Monday morning commutes after the pubs have been busy over the weekend mainly around the Aldgate East area.

OP
OP
I

In trouble

Got to work and back today (20 miles), no punctures, so keeping the tyres.

Passed the same bus stop this morning, still has glass all over the pavement/road, but managed to aviod it today. the irony of it all is that its been in the condition for over 24 hours, yet the nearest bus depot must be at least 20 metres away.

purplepolly

J4CKO said:
why do they just keep replacing them with more glass,.

glass bus shelters are safer when you're waiting by yourself at night as they give better visiblity. What they should be using though is toughened glass, but because the health and safety police have obviously been working overtime what they actually use is windscreen glass that shatters easily into little bits. This is so the idiots who vandalise the bus stops don't hurt themselves in the process.

Worth reporting glass on the road / paths. I had punctues in consecutive days the other week in different parts of the city and rang the council who were sympathetic and got it cleaned up.