God is against us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mile

Had to go to a christening yesterday. I'm not religious, but was impressed with the vicar who had a good sense of humour and was fully aware and accepting of the fact that most of this particular congregation's posteriors had not seen a pew in moe than a month of Sunadys.

Impressed at least until the end of the service when in wishing us all a safe journey home he warned of the "large number of idiots on the road, especially cyclists".

Is there something in the bible about this, I wondered if it's some sort of continuation of a donkey vs camel debate of old?

buddha

Veteran
It's a bit confusing.

There's this quote, dissing a font, but seems to be in favour of Critical Mass rides:

Isaiah 29:1 (New International Version, ©2011)

Isaiah 29

Woe to David’s City
[sup]1[/sup] Woe to you, Ariel, Ariel,
the city where David settled!
Add year to year
and let your cycle of festivals go on.

However, there is a chunk of stuff in Judges (I think) about the 'cycle of sin'. Maybe he took this too literally.

There is of course the opinion that he's a plonker ;)
Did you go in full lycra BTW?

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The establishment will always hammer anyone that goes against the accepted norm, ie a silver Ford Focus (preferably with a chrome fish on the back).

OP
OP

8mile

It's a bit confusing.

There's this quote, dissing a font, but seems to be in favour of Critical Mass rides:

However, there is a chunk of stuff in Judges (I think) about the 'cycle of sin'. Maybe he took this too literally.

There is of course the opinion that he's a plonker ;)
Did you go in full lycra BTW?

Thanks for the research Buddha. I wasn't wearing lycra as I didn't want to provoke any lustful thoughts in church. I should also point ou that I mostly cycle without sin in deed if not always in thought!

Clandy

The man believes in giant invisible fairies in the sky, and it's his opinion of cyclists that worries people?

subaqua

What’s the point
as Exodus is before Isiah I can safely say that motorcycles (or cars) came before bikes.

"and Moses came down from Mt Sinia in his Triumph"

Mad at urage

The man believes in giant invisible fairies in the sky, and it's his opinion of cyclists that worries people?
Yes, because it is his opinion of cyclists that may effect cyclists (especially if passed on to others who see him as a authority figure). His opinion on the existence or non-existence of a deity is less threatening to most of us (but perhaps not to all?).

tyred

Legendary Member
as Exodus is before Isiah I can safely say that motorcycles (or cars) came before bikes.

"and Moses came down from Mt Sinia in his Triumph"

But, but, but, Triumph made pedal cycles first. The cycle division was sold off to Raleigh at some point.

tyred

Legendary Member
Who was the first man in the bible?

Serious question. Any answers?

The first man mentioned in my Bible is Prince James.

TO THE MOST HIGH AND MIGHTY PRINCE

JAMES,

BY THE GRACE OF GOD

KING OF GREAT BRITAIN, FRANCE, AND IRELAND, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH, &C.,/P

Was Prince James the first man in the Bible?

Davidc

Guru
Trouble is that standing up and saying in a very loud voice "How dare you, you ignorant, narrow-minded, intellectually sub normal moron" might have upset the friends/ relatives/ whatever who invited you to the christening.

PaulB

Legendary Member
The first man mentioned in my Bible is Prince James.

TO THE MOST HIGH AND MIGHTY PRINCE

JAMES,

BY THE GRACE OF GOD

KING OF GREAT BRITAIN, FRANCE, AND IRELAND, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH, &C.,/P

Was Prince James the first man in the Bible?

Nope.

Do you know who it was?

Shall I tell thee?

Chap 1. The first man in the bible. Chap 1. Geddit?

Top Bottom