Going Clipless Tomorrow(Today?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

So I have some SPD pedals and cleats, I will be getting the shoes (technically) today.

I might have a couple of clipless moments, because the bike frame is slightly too big for me, but I'm still growing, I actually have stretch marks on my back from growing :smile:

So I think its better have a bike I will grow into rather than out of.

You can bet I will post after having my clipless moment(s)!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
best of luck, get into the habit of taking a foot out before you stop, this will help you not having a clipless.

Garz

Squat Member
Sam Kennedy said:
but I'm still growing, I actually have stretch marks on my back from growing :smile:

I had this as a youngster too (was about 11 or 12), nothing to worry about but they did look strange at the time. :bravo:

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Okay I gave it a shot today, I spent a few minutes practising clipping and unclipping, I got the right spot on the cleats straight away, as soon as I put my foot down on the pedal it clipped in, I didn't even feel it! I did a quick 10 miler, and I could really feel the difference on hills. I went up a 5-8% hill and my dad was ahead of me on the hill and I shot straight past him :biggrin: (Does that count as a scalp? Or does it have to be a randomer?) I went up the hill in 3rd(large chainring) and 7th(second smallest gear). Being able to pull up REALLY makes a difference :ohmy:

The only slightly annoying thing is that its a double use pedal, so one of the sides is flat, but thats always handy if I ever need to go none-clipless(which I doubt I will!)

Oh, and on my shoe there was this little rope holding both together when I first bought them, and I went to pull it off and bent the sort of U-shaped loop that the velcro strap goes through, I've slotted it back in and it works fine, but is it worth risking bending it back with pliers?

MajorMantra

Sam Kennedy said:
Oh, and on my shoe there was this little rope holding both together when I first bought them, and I went to pull it off and bent the sort of U-shaped loop that the velcro strap goes through, I've slotted it back in and it works fine, but is it worth risking bending it back with pliers?

Are these Lidl shoes? I bent the metal loops on some of mine and did bend them back with pliers to no ill effect. In future, when you do up the shoes, don't pull against the loop when you tighten them. Instead, hold the loop and pull the strap through before pressing it down on the velcro. (If that makes any sense.)

Matthew

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Well done Sam.I have never tried clipless yet,would probably get flat on one side ones like yours for nipping down the shops etc in trainers.

I know you are young and fit but watch you dont overstress your knees trying to use bigger gears.A mate of mine is suffering now as a result of it.

bonj2

I personally think pedals of the type one side flat, one side clip-in, are a completely stupid, devil's contraption, but some people vociferously recommend them on here so you might find someone to sell them to/swap with. Shimano M520s are probably what you want.

Banjo

bonj said:
I personally think pedals of the type one side flat, one side clip-in, are a completely stupid, devil's contraption, but some people vociferously recommend them on here so you might find someone to sell them to/swap with. Shimano M520s are probably what you want.

Never having used clipless pedals I thought the double sided ones would be usefull for hopping on the bike in ordinary shoes now and then?

My bike is a multi purpose tool ,It is used for pleasure rides ,work commute and shopping trips etc In an ideal world I would have a dedicated road bike with clipless and another bike for shopping etc with flats.

bonj2

Banjo said:
Never having used clipless pedals I thought the double sided ones would be usefull for hopping on the bike in ordinary shoes now and then?

My bike is a multi purpose tool ,It is used for pleasure rides ,work commute and shopping trips etc In an ideal world I would have a dedicated road bike with clipless and another bike for shopping etc with flats.

yeah but they are just *Annoying* with a capital A. You invariably have to faff around flipping them over to have the side up that you want to use, EVERY time.
I don't personally see why you would ever need to ride in 'normal' shoes.
You surely can't be that scatty that you don't even know whether you're going to be riding your bike or not when you put your shoes on in preparation for leaving the house.
If you're going out on your bike, you leave your house wearing your cycling shoes. You don't leave the house, THEN decide that you're going on your bike, do you? You decide that you're going on your bike before you leave the house.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

They are supposed to be weighted so the clipless side stays facing up, but I think the bearings need greased. I will keep them for a few weeks and if I'm using clipless all the time then I will see if anyone wants to trade.

Banjo

bonj said:
yeah but they are just *Annoying* with a capital A. You invariably have to faff around flipping them over to have the side up that you want to use, EVERY time.
I don't personally see why you would ever need to ride in 'normal' shoes.
You surely can't be that scatty that you don't even know whether you're going to be riding your bike or not when you put your shoes on in preparation for leaving the house.
If you're going out on your bike, you leave your house wearing your cycling shoes. You don't leave the house, THEN decide that you're going on your bike, do you? You decide that you're going on your bike before you leave the house.

No I usually do know where I am going but dont allways want to change my shoes when I get there.any advice appreciated but go easy on the sarcasm.

bonj2

Banjo said:
No I usually do know where I am going but dont allways want to change my shoes when I get there.any advice appreciated but go easy on the sarcasm.

Do you have MTB shoes?
If so where do you go where you need to change your shoes?

GrasB

Veteran
bonj said:
Do you have MTB shoes?
If so where do you go where you need to change your shoes?
Wandering around a market for 2 hours with cleats on attached to the bottom of an MTB shoe I find very tiring on my feet & extremely damaging to the cleats them selves.

Top Bottom